Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cat6 Pinout Question (T568A or T568B)

Last response: in Networking
April 24, 2014 5:37:24 PM

Hey guys-

Moving my server box over to a new office that has Cat6 cable run neatly into wall jacks in all the rooms. My problem is I've never seen the layout & pinout configuration I've stumbled across in this new office, and I'm unsure what pinout config to use at my starting point to feed all the the rooms correctly.

I have these as my termination points: and ... which appear to be some kind of Gigamax eXtreme 6+ connection I'm unfamiliar with. The pinout it's using looks really bizarre to me.

Then I have these as my starting points: and which appear to be from a pinout of: Light Blue > Blue > Light Orange > Orange > Light Green > Green > Light Brown > Brown.... which I've NEVER seen before.

Am I safe to rewire my starting point cables to a T568A or T568B connector with these existing termination points? Would one be more beneficial than the other?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

a b X LAN
April 24, 2014 5:48:38 PM

The pinout you read out should never work at anything greater than maybe 10Mb/s. Pins 3/6 and 4/5 need to be the same pair.

Check that you're not misreading the order the pins are in on the jacks - they often do some cunning PCB traces so that each pair terminates next to each other, but they get shuffled to the right order.
April 24, 2014 6:17:59 PM

Sorry, I may have misspoke. That pinout order I typed out is merely what order the loose cables seem to have last been placed in (as you can see in my photos). None of my starting point cables currently have any endcaps or connectors on them, just the 8 interior wires all seemingly hanging in that order. I'm just trying to verify I can route them into a standard 568A or 568B layout considering my existing termination points without messing anything up.

Best solution

a b X LAN
April 24, 2014 6:23:31 PM

You certainly won't damage anything.

If you're rewiring both ends of the same cable, you can do whatever you want. If you're only changing one end, you probably want to check what the jacks are actually wired to and use that, or rewire the whole place to one standard. A is the more commonly used one, IIRC.