Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Would it possible/ profitable to put a CPU cooler on my 7870?

Tags:
  • XFX
  • Cooling
  • CPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 24, 2014 6:18:40 PM

I have a little stock cooler from my 8350 and i was thinking about putting it on my 7870. I've read stuff like it, seen pics like it, but I want some more opinions before I take apart a $230 piece of hardware.

I don't really need any other pci ports, and it bugs me that my card is so hot. like 70C. Plus mounting something like that looks fun.

Specs: if its important
FX-8350
XFX Double D 7870
m5a99fx pro 2.0 motherboard
NZXT phan-003 red case

More about : profitable put cpu cooler 7870

a c 298 à CPUs
April 24, 2014 6:30:49 PM

70'C is a very normal load temperature for GPUs.
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 7:05:06 PM

oh i thought it was supposed to be at 60. it overheated once and i got a little nervous it was running hot.

well nevermind
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 845 à CPUs
April 24, 2014 7:06:56 PM

Yeah, most cards can run all the way up to 90C before shutting down.
As for the cooler, it would likely perform worse, it wont cool the Vram or circuitry, etc
Share
a c 298 à CPUs
April 24, 2014 7:08:06 PM

PureGarrison said:
oh i thought it was supposed to be at 60. it overheated once and i got a little nervous it was running hot.

well nevermind


You can alter your automatic fan profile settings in MSI Afterburner if you want a lower temperature but noisier fan.

m
0
l
April 24, 2014 7:22:27 PM

Gam3r01 said:
Yeah, most cards can run all the way up to 90C before shutting down.
As for the cooler, it would likely perform worse, it wont cool the Vram or circuitry, etc


Yeah i read some people mention that. I guess im not doing any new project then
m
0
l
April 24, 2014 7:23:51 PM

damric said:
You can alter your automatic fan profile settings in MSI Afterburner if you want a lower temperature but noisier fan.


If i have any more problems ill try it, but i guess its running fine now at like 65 load usually
m
0
l