I3-3220 Core1 disabled????

MadGabZ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Hi guys,
Im pulling my hair here. SysInternals process explorer shows only 2 threads/1 core for my i3-3220, whereas hwinfo64 shows the CPU to have 2 cores and 4 threads, but only 1 core working, the second is grayed out. What is going on?
I've hit bios multiple times, and made sure, HT is enabled, and Cores are set to 'All', '1' being the only other ability
Motherboard is an ASROCK B75 PRO3-M
Is my CPU defunct?
Or is there some weird registry setting i can try to make Win7-64 sort this out?
Thanks in Advance, guys!

Please confirm that TASK MANAGER shows four threads.
a) CTRL-ALT-DEL
b) open TM-> Performance->CPU
c) Change view to show all cores/threads

(Task Manager in Windows 8 and 7 are slightly different but you can figure it out.)

If you see all four, then run Prime95 to confirm all four can run at about 100% cpu usage.

MadGabZ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Just reset BIOS/clrmos, taskmgr.exe still shows 2 processes, calling them CPU1 and CPU2. Also, same thing with HWinfo64 and Sysinternals' Process Explorer!
:(
Does any of these actually show threads? Sysinternals shows only 1 graph when "Show 1 graph per CPU" is OFF, and 2 when ON, which i interpret as there only being 1 Core active, or HyperThreading not working.

MadGabZ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Fantastic! Problem solved!
I deleted all the 'Processors' under Device Manager (there were actually four, so windows somehow already had detected 2 cores + threads), and used MSCONFIG/Boot/Advanced to reverse the Cores-setting to OFF
Then, rebooted, and problem fixed!

Thanks for the youtube link, photonboy!!!

I actually bought the mobo+cpu for a NAS4Free fileserver, but ended up swapping it in my main box, as it was actually better than my old E6750! I then tricked win7 into accepting new mobo+cpu, and it seems this would have been the culprit!

MadGabZ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Ye sorry, I know, just didn't give it any thought, as the system has been running smoothly for quite some time already. Doing a fresh install on a already highly specialized system is a B**** and very time consuming. And i have yet to find a PROPER backup system, that backs up all relevant system settings for this operation...
Again, thanks for your solution, you have saved me from quite a long reinstall mayhem!

You may wish to remove the main chipset driver and install the correct one if you haven't done so. It's the "INF" one though I'm not sure what it's called in the UNINSTALL section. If you can't find it, then just download and install the one here.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75%20Pro3-M/?cat=Download&os=Win764

Update anything else that seems important.

You can also go to the main Intel site and check for any Intel updates after that. You'll be asked to install a small program first.

*Set a SYSTEM RESTORE point first before doing anything.

MadGabZ

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
You may wish to remove the main chipset driver and install the correct one if you haven't done so. It's the "INF" one though I'm not sure what it's called in the UNINSTALL section. If you can't find it, then just download and install the one here.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B75%20Pro3-M/?cat=Download&os=Win764

Update anything else that seems important.

You can also go to the main Intel site and check for any Intel updates after that. You'll be asked to install a small program first.

*Set a SYSTEM RESTORE point first before doing anything.[/quotemsg]

Thanks again, but i already did that when i swapped in the new mobo+cpu! Thanks for pointing out, though!