Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Motherboard and CPU or PSU and GPU?

Tags:
  • GPUs
  • Power Supplies
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2014 8:07:47 AM

Ok so I have a really bad gaming computer as of right now. Specs are:
FX-4100
AMD Radeon HD 6450
300W PSU
Some crappy motherboard

My birthday is coming up and I can either get a new motherboard and processor or a new gpu and psu. I am thinking about getting the GTX 770 with a 600W PSU. The FX-41000 will bottleneck the 770 but I would buy an FX-8350 later on. If I buy the motherboard and processor, I will have to wait a long time to get a 770 after that.
Here are the items I am thinking about getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for your help!

More about : motherboard cpu psu gpu

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2014 8:16:37 AM

those are two good deals.. the cpu and mobo that is! hard to pass up getting those two when the prices are so good.

but in reality, for what you have right now... you'd see no gaming improvement by getting those b/c the GPU is so low end.

so your best bet now is a power supply and GPU.

I wouldn't get any PSU that is not 80+ bronze or better... check out the sales/promos/rebates on newegg and get one that is 80+ bronze or better

I would suggest a 700w power supply that has 4 PCI-E connectors, and a GTX 760. then down the road, when you upgrade your mobo/CPU... you can get a second 760. two 760's is some major power
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2014 9:16:33 AM

PSU and GPU... 300w and you might not have the power for anything newer or not enough connectors. Wouldn't you be really upset if you bought new stuff and your PSU couldn't run them?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 25, 2014 10:11:00 AM

I think I may get the motherboard and cpu. I will get those and then save up some more for a graphics card that is good and maybe by then, the 800 series might be out. Thanks for your help!
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 28, 2014 9:39:16 AM

DanKem06 said:
PSU and GPU... 300w and you might not have the power for anything newer or not enough connectors. Wouldn't you be really upset if you bought new stuff and your PSU couldn't run them?


300w would handle an i3 and a 750ti. The i3 uses far less power and would make up for any differences in power in the 750ti and the HD 6450.
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 25, 2014 11:09:27 AM

How much are you looking to spend? There might be options on getting you something better now, so you can enjoy your rig, and give you an upgrade path for when you can afford to upgrade.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 28, 2014 10:23:47 AM

I agree, but what 300w supply is it... bronze, how long is that going to last? Just saying it is the BARE MIN. Also:

" If I buy the motherboard and processor, I will have to wait a long time to get a 770 after that"

Get the PSU and GPU... sounds like its what you want anyway.
Share
April 26, 2014 8:25:21 AM

logainofhades said:
How much are you looking to spend? There might be options on getting you something better now, so you can enjoy your rig, and give you an upgrade path for when you can afford to upgrade.

I am willing to spend around 350 dollars but hopefully less.

m
0
l
April 28, 2014 4:15:34 PM

DanKem06 said:
I agree, but what 300w supply is it... bronze, how long is that going to last? Just saying it is the BARE MIN. Also:

" If I buy the motherboard and processor, I will have to wait a long time to get a 770 after that"

Get the PSU and GPU... sounds like its what you want anyway.


The 770 with the PSU is a bit too expensive. But what about an R9 280? Is that good? I have seen that it is slightly better than a gtx 760 and slightly worse than a gtx 770. It sounds appealing.
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 28, 2014 9:03:55 AM

I would get this, to get you started. It would be far better than what you have now, and give you an upgrade path. Could recommend something else possibly, but without knowing your motherboard model, it is kinda difficult to.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Enthusiast Edition Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $338.95
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-28 12:01 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 29, 2014 5:41:00 AM

The 280 is roughly an HD 7950. It isn't a bad card at all.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 29, 2014 6:01:18 AM

I agree
m
0
l
April 29, 2014 3:39:59 PM

I went with the r9 280 and a 600W PSU. It is arriving in around 5 days. Super excited! Can't wait! I will finally be freed from the confines of the HD 6450!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 6:20:04 AM

jwdickey34 said:
I went with the r9 280 and a 600W PSU. It is arriving in around 5 days. Super excited! Can't wait! I will finally be freed from the confines of the HD 6450!


Both are good choices, I know its tough when you are on a budget, Be proud of what you have, I'm still waiting to upgrade my GPU....
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 30, 2014 7:41:10 AM

Ouch on that GPU with that 4670k. I had CF HD 5850's before I bought my 7970. Bought it from a friend cheap.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 8:02:26 AM

I am not getting the processor yet. I think I may save up now for the FX-8350 so I do now have to switch motherboard and crap
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 30, 2014 8:05:30 AM

jwdickey34 said:
I am not getting the processor yet. I think I may save up now for the FX-8350 so I do now have to switch motherboard and crap


My response was to DamKem06's GPU. :lol:  If you ultimately decide to go with FX, go with an FX 8320 and a Gigabyte 970a-ud3p, or 990fxa-ud3 if you want Crossfire and SLI capability. Price/performance wise, they are your better AMD options.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 8:27:20 AM

Is the 8350 not good? I thought it was the best AMD has to offer under 200$ It as it exactly 200 and has been for a while.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 8:30:17 AM

logainofhades said:
jwdickey34 said:
I am not getting the processor yet. I think I may save up now for the FX-8350 so I do now have to switch motherboard and crap


My response was to DamKem06's GPU. :lol:  If you ultimately decide to go with FX, go with an FX 8320 and a Gigabyte 970a-ud3p, or 990fxa-ud3 if you want Crossfire and SLI capability. Price/performance wise, they are your better AMD options.


LOL I know bro, its horrible... I almost got a titan black, but was EXTREMELY disappointed with benchmarks for 4K so I'm holding out for one more release. And don't be hating on me about my choice LOL, so many people ask, Why the TitanB your wasting your money? All I can say is, "Hey last time I checked, its my money and if I want to blow $1000 at the strip club then I will." GFY

I really hope the 800 series is ready for 4k with a single card solution. with 60Hz or more that is...
m
0
l
a c 1156 à CPUs
a c 284 V Motherboard
a c 88 ) Power supply
April 30, 2014 8:33:48 AM

jwdickey34 said:
Is the 8350 not good? I thought it was the best AMD has to offer under 200$ It as it exactly 200 and has been for a while.


FX 8320 will match the FX 8350 with just a multiplier bump to 20. Why pay AMD $50 to do something you can easily do yourself?
m
0
l