Solved

Boot loop before post

Hi

I got a problem with my pc for about 4-5 days now, when booting up it just randomly restarts before post for about 20-30 times before it finally manages to boot.
Nothing has been changed/added to the setup in the past 2-3 weeks, before that I installed a new HDD and about 3 months ago I changed cases.
Since today when it finally manages to boot windows 8 only recognizes one monitor out of the 4, tried reinstalling the nvidia driver but the only thing that changed is that before it atleast booted after about 10 mins, now i'm sitting here for more than 40 min without even getting a post screen.

Setup:
GA-P67X-UD3-B3
i7 2600k at stock (never been overclocked)
4x4 GB RAM
GTX660
3x HDDs
2x SSDs
Corsair CX600

Tried reseating the the gpu but it didn't solve the problem, nor did shorting cmos pins, everything is properly connected, as said nothing has been touched in the case for about 3 weeks now.
Any solution?
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about boot loop post
  1. I need more info like
    1) you have 2x SSD, are they in the raid?
    2) Do you update the chipset driver from intel yet? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775
    3) Also about the ssd firmware, because the SSD is very picky for the drivers and firmware.
    4) Do you try only connect the SSD to see you can boot the PC or not?

    If you do the update those drivers and firmware, and you still have the problem then I recommend to update the BIOS.
  2. cin19 said:
    I need more info like
    1) you have 2x SSD, are they in the raid?
    2) Do you update the chipset driver from intel yet? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775
    3) Also about the ssd firmware, because the SSD is very picky for the drivers and firmware.
    4) Do you try only connect the SSD to see you can boot the PC or not?

    If you do the update those drivers and firmware, and you still have the problem then I recommend to update the BIOS.


    1) they are not in raid, one is 64 GB which i used for system drive for about 2 years other one is a 120 gb one which I installed at the same time I swapped cases, and is now the system drive
    2) can't remember for 100% but I think i did
    3) both are samsungs and on the latest firmware with samsung's ssd utility software
    4) will try now

    sadly atm i can't even get it to boot for about 40 min now so updating any drivers is hard. and bios update seems kinda risky for me with this random booting.
  3. Try clear the CMOS by removing the battery, then only connect the SSD with OS, also only one single RAM, boot the PC.
    Also are those RAM from the same kit ( 4X 4GB) ? or from two kit ( 2x4GB + 2X4GB) ?
  4. cin19 said:
    Try clear the CMOS by removing the battery, then only connect the SSD with OS, also only one single RAM, boot the PC.
    Also are those RAM from the same kit ( 4X 4GB) ? or from two kit ( 2x4GB + 2X4GB) ?


    Will try that now, only single ram didn't help, just tried that.
    RAM is from two kits, but identical.
  5. one ssd + one ram didn't solve it either, still not even getting a post screen
  6. Best answer
    Try to start from here.
    1) Disconnect all the RAM, GPU, SSD, and other hardware. only SSD with the OS.
    2) Clear the CMOS, boot the PC to see what error code you get, if you have the onboard speaker, what error beep code you get. http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm your MB has the AMI one.
    3) If you get the no RAM error code, add the one RAM to try, also try other RAM slot.
    4) If you can boot the PC with single RAM, then add the gtx660.
    5) If you can boot, add the other one by one to try.
  7. cin19 said:
    Try to start from here.
    1) Disconnect all the RAM, GPU, SSD, and other hardware. only SSD with the OS.
    2) Clear the CMOS, boot the PC to see what error code you get, if you have the onboard speaker, what error beep code you get. http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm your MB has the AMI one.
    3) If you get the no RAM error code, add the one RAM to try, also try other RAM slot.
    4) If you can boot the PC with single RAM, then add the gtx660.
    5) If you can boot, add the other one by one to try.


    pure silence.
  8. cin19 said:


    oh yea apparently i don't have a speaker, will try to get one from an older computer now and hope that after that i get some reasonable result.
    i guess there aren't any side solutions that could indentify errors without a speaker, cause i have to travel about 3 hours to get one.
  9. I know some of MB has the small LED display like http://hardwarelogic.com/articles/reviews/motherboards/EPOX_MF570/POSTport.jpg you can open the case to check it out.
    Or you can borrow one from your friend.

    If both are not available you know what you to do, drive to get one or mail order.
  10. Well, didn't manage to get a speaker but got a led that we tested on my friends computer and can blink accordingly to the speaker beeps, gonna hook it up now.
  11. Seems like it was the gtx660, it manages to boot with my old 550ti.
    Now I however get DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

    edit: windows is stupid and probably put boot files on one of the hdds i used for system back then instead of the ssd.

    so, kind of solved: it manages to boot with one set of ram kit, but not with the other 2, and only with the gtx550ti, should I be worried or is it just a coincidence that both of the rams and the vga broke at the same time?
  12. For the " DISK BOOT FAILURE " , you can try to use the "Startup Repair in Windows 7" and read carefully before you do it. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

    For the RAM, that will happen when you buy two kits even they are identical, it is the compatible issue. You can try go to the BIOS in the memory section and set the RAM to XMP profile. If it does not work and you can try to manual set the timing and Voltage, if the RAM is 1600MHZ 9-9-9-28 RAM, then set to 9-9-9-28, and 1.55V in the memory section.
  13. cin19 said:
    For the " DISK BOOT FAILURE " , you can try to use the "Startup Repair in Windows 7" and read carefully before you do it. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

    For the RAM, that will happen when you buy two kits even they are identical, it is the compatible issue. You can try go to the BIOS in the memory section and set the RAM to XMP profile. If it does not work and you can try to manual set the timing and Voltage, if the RAM is 1600MHZ 9-9-9-28 RAM, then set to 9-9-9-28, and 1.55V in the memory section.


    Thanks, will try it tomorrow, however just realized that they are not exactly identical, the currently installed ones according to aida64 are 1333mhz running at 1.5 V (Kingston 9905403-447.A00LF) (but not sure if they affected by cpu as I think 2600k by default only supports 1333). And the non installed ones are Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8G.

    I know that in theory the 1600 ones should be down scalled to 1333, but does it matter which slot they are installed in (except for keeping the kits in the same channel)? So should I install the 1333 ones in channel 0 slots and 1600 in channel 1 slots in order to work properly?
  14. Don't recommend to mix different speed RAM, 8GB will more than enough for most usage. Just install the 1600MHz set.
    If you want try add them all and go to BIOS set to 1333MHZ, don't matter which slot you install, but just make sure they are in the same channel, like 1333MHZ are in white slot, and 1600MHZare in blue one.
  15. cin19 said:
    Don't recommend to mix different speed RAM, 8GB will more than enough for most usage. Just install the 1600MHz set.
    If you want try add them all and go to BIOS set to 1333MHZ, don't matter which slot you install, but just make sure they are in the same channel, like 1333MHZ are in white slot, and 1600MHZare in blue one.


    Thanks, will try that, I work as a videographer and for editing there is never enough RAM sadly.
  16. Yes, I see. If you can't work out to mix those RAM you have to buy the new RAM kit, like 2X8GB , or 4X8GB and sell the other two set RAM.
  17. cin19 said:
    Yes, I see. If you can't work out to mix those RAM you have to buy the new RAM kit, like 2X8GB , or 4X8GB and sell the other two set RAM.


    They don't like each other, tried manually timing them properly but they refuse to boot, however just the 1600 ones boot correctly. Will probably go for buying an enterily new kit. Thanks for all the help, will mark the thread solved now hopefully nothing will go wrong now. On my way atm to return the vga for service/swap.
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Hard Drives Motherboards