Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD Athlon II x2 265 bottlenecking GeForce GTX 660 2GB

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 28, 2014 12:34:58 AM

Hey Guys! My friend has a GeForce GTX 660 2gb card paired with an AMD Athlon II x2 265. His processor is definitely bottlenecking his card, when he plays Battlefield 4, he will get less than 20 frames on low, medium, high and ultra. When he is playing League of Legends it's a different story, he doesn't get low frames in it, he usually gets a steady framerate. So my question is, would his processor be overclockable, what would be the max clock speed to overclock it so it boots without becoming unstable, and so Windows 7 won't get stuck in a boot loop. His processor is running at 3.3GHz stock. He also has Corsair Vengance 8GB DDR 3 ram running at 573MHz which DDR = Double Data Rate so his ram is running at 1146MHz, i'm pretty sure his ram is underclocked because it's supposed to be running at 1600MHz, is there any room for overclocking this ram, and what would be a good, stable clock speed for his ram? If his processor would be stable at running around 4.3GHz, that would be good cause he might be able to get more frames in Battlefield 4 from his MSI GtX 660 2gb oc edition card.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 28, 2014 12:39:30 AM

ram really doesn't matter for gaming, check out this vid on the matter....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

he needs a better cpu period. An old dual core like that isn't cutting it now days in demanding stuff. Ideally an unlocked i5 4670k+z87 motherboard is gonna be best....

what's his motherboard? If it's that old I doubt he could just put a 6 core fx6300 in there....

90 dollar 970chipset AMD AM3+ mobo and fx6300 would be my recommendation on a budget
m
0
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 28, 2014 12:41:47 AM

even with overclocking he-s looking at gains of 10-20% tops, still won't be playable i recon. it's because bf4 is much more cpu intensive compared to lol... he could get a phenom II x4 black (955+) instead for higher frame rates and paired with an aftermarket cooler he can push that to about 4ghz which might improve things. what's his motherboard? does is support 125W cpu-s?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2014 12:42:01 AM

WhiteSnake91 said:
ram really doesn't matter for gaming, check out this vid on the matter....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

he needs a better cpu period. An old dual core like that isn't cutting it now days in demanding stuff. Ideally an unlocked i5 4670k+z87 motherboard is gonna be best....

what's his motherboard? If it's that old I doubt he could just put a 6 core fx6300 in there....

90 dollar 970chipset AMD AM3+ mobo and fx6300 would be my recommendation on a budget


He has a ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboard
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 12:45:16 AM

While on the topic of overclocking, can an I7-3820 be overclocked to around 4.3GHz, each time i've tried it goes unstable. Like I have an I7-3820 paired with a MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr, with a Sabertooth X79 motherboard. First time I tried overclocking, I had a 600 watt PSU which turned out not being enough for this card, but the other day I upgraded to a 875 watt thermaltake psu. My processor is bottlenecking my card, in BF4 on ultra I get like 60-80 frames, dropping to under 40 a lot, like all the time.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 28, 2014 12:46:44 AM

his motherboard doesn't support any FX cpu's unless he has the revision 2.0 of the motherboard,

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/51063-fx-8350-870-ex...


so, the best you can do is get a Phenom II 965 and overclock it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

you CAN look up and get a Phenom II x6 six core cpu, but they've really shot up in price. An 1100t is about $200 online.

for the same price of getting the 1100t he could get the newer fx6300 which is about $110-120 and the Asus r2.0 970 motherboard which is about $90 (although no crossfire/sli, those are for the more expensive 990fx mobo's)
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 12:54:02 AM

laviniuc said:
xGh0stSn1p3r said:
While on the topic of overclocking, can an I7-3820 be overclocked to around 4.3GHz, each time i've tried it goes unstable. Like I have an I7-3820 paired with a MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr, with a Sabertooth X79 motherboard. First time I tried overclocking, I had a 600 watt PSU which turned out not being enough for this card, but the other day I upgraded to a 875 watt thermaltake psu. My processor is bottlenecking my card, in BF4 on ultra I get like 60-80 frames, dropping to under 40 a lot, like all the time.


what temperatures are you getting @4.3Ghz? is your cooler working ok?


It won't go up to 4.3GHz, at the boot, the bios will say it's unstable or something and it will ask to press f1 to go to setup. I have a single bay water cooler with two fans on each side of it.
m
0
l
a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 28, 2014 12:50:01 AM

xGh0stSn1p3r said:
WhiteSnake91 said:
ram really doesn't matter for gaming, check out this vid on the matter....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWgzA2C61z4

he needs a better cpu period. An old dual core like that isn't cutting it now days in demanding stuff. Ideally an unlocked i5 4670k+z87 motherboard is gonna be best....

what's his motherboard? If it's that old I doubt he could just put a 6 core fx6300 in there....

90 dollar 970chipset AMD AM3+ mobo and fx6300 would be my recommendation on a budget


He has a ASRock 870 Extreme3 motherboard


it supports phenom 2-s so i guess it comes down to budget and what he finds on sale near him. either a new cpu or 970board+6300 or an intel i5+Z87
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 108 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 28, 2014 12:51:13 AM

xGh0stSn1p3r said:
While on the topic of overclocking, can an I7-3820 be overclocked to around 4.3GHz, each time i've tried it goes unstable. Like I have an I7-3820 paired with a MSI GTX 780 TwinFrozr, with a Sabertooth X79 motherboard. First time I tried overclocking, I had a 600 watt PSU which turned out not being enough for this card, but the other day I upgraded to a 875 watt thermaltake psu. My processor is bottlenecking my card, in BF4 on ultra I get like 60-80 frames, dropping to under 40 a lot, like all the time.


what temperatures are you getting @4.3Ghz? is your cooler working ok?
Share
April 28, 2014 12:51:58 AM

WhiteSnake91 said:
his motherboard doesn't support any FX cpu's unless he has the revision 2.0 of the motherboard,

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/51063-fx-8350-870-ex...


so, the best you can do is get a Phenom II 965 and overclock it with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

you CAN look up and get a Phenom II x6 six core cpu, but they've really shot up in price. An 1100t is about $200 online.

for the same price of getting the 1100t he could get the newer fx6300 which is about $110-120 and the Asus r2.0 970 motherboard which is about $90 (although no crossfire/sli, those are for the more expensive 990fx mobo's)

How well would a AM3+ x4 FX-4130 with a ASUS M5A97-R2 970 AM3 DDR3 Motherboard work with a GTX 660, woud it be getting atleast 60 frames on High on BF4?
m
0
l
!