Solved Closed

Keyboard suddenly quits working on Facebook then won't work anywhere

Ok, this is weird. Over the last 4 days or so I will be on Facebook, typing in a comment, or even chatting with my wife on it's chat and suddenly my keyboard will quit responding. This happens ONLY on Facebook. After it stops responding I can't type anywhere else. No web pages, nothing. Even when I have a game up it won't respond. So it's like the keyboard is completely dead.

Only solution so far has been to restart the computer which is annoying because I can lose whatever I was typing in a complex post, game play that isn't savable, etc.

Any solutions people know of to get the keyboard reset and communicating again without restarting the computer? Anyone know why this only happens when on Facebook and not while in any other program or website?
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about keyboard suddenly quits working facebook work
  1. Well, I'm completely guessing here - but I would try the following :

    If it's a USB keyboard, plug it into a different socket.
    Try a different keyboard if you have one just to rule it out.
    Update your motherboard drivers (do this carefully from the manufacturer's website). Do not update BIOS unless you try everything else first (I don't think it will help and it can ruin your computer if done incorrectly).
    Run virus scans.. Depending on what version of windows you use, there are some freeware programs that can be used. I would recommend Malwarebytes and Superantispyware - download the free versions and run them one at a time (not at the same time). You can also use a free version of avast to see if that picks anything up. Make sure to verify that those programs are compatible with the current version of windows you have.
  2. Not really Facebook I think! Check if any keys are depressed & not coming up. This sounds like a hardware command interrupt to me!
  3. Mine just did it too for the first time?? But I can type anywhere else. Tried the new USB port but that did work either??? Weird !
  4. Happening with me too on Facebook with my Logitech K270 wireless combo I'm typing this with! The letter 'a' suddenly stopped working, I opened word, it works perfect, moved to a different page, worked. Back to FB and stopped again. Script problem?
  5. And the browser you're using is?
  6. Best answer
    I have had the same several times.
    Just clear your "browser Cache" It has worked for me.
    :bounce:
  7. This happened to me too on a logitec YR-0042 USB keyboard. It only affects comments on Facebook. My a, s, and g keys are disabled when attempting to write comments. Within Facebook. I'm using Firefox 44.0.2. Really bizarre.
  8. My backspace key doesn't work in FB any longer but no problems using keyboard anywhere else. Seems like this started after recently downloading Windows 10.
  9. Same issue using Dell Latitude E5450, built in keyboard and Opera browser. Have to type this in notepad so I can copy and paste it to this input field. Can type elsewhere but not in browser input fields. Have cleared cache but this has not helped either. IE and Chrome working fine.
  10. statistician said:
    This happened to me too on a logitec YR-0042 USB keyboard. It only affects comments on Facebook. My a, s, and g keys are disabled when attempting to write comments. Within Facebook. I'm using Firefox 44.0.2. Really bizarre.


    Curious if you got this resolved? I am having the exact same issue, only mine includes the letter U???? So bizarre...
  11. What if it's not a separate keyboard, but part of a BRAND NEW LAPTOP? I just had the same thing happen to me - was trying to comment on Facebook and suddenly the keys on the left (a,s,d,f were the ones I tried) wouldn't work at all. As you can see, they are working now. Very odd.
  12. SoupCruncher said:
    Happening with me too on Facebook with my Logitech K270 wireless combo I'm typing this with! The letter 'a' suddenly stopped working, I opened word, it works perfect, moved to a different page, worked. Back to FB and stopped again. Script problem?


    similar problem here but its the "u" key. works everywhere else, ony on facebook chat uuuuUUUU

    to get a U to appear in chat I have to type it in another application and cut and paste it into Facebook. Virus maybe?
  13. Eljaybe said:
    I have had the same several times.
    Just clear your "browser Cache" It has worked for me.
    :bounce:

    Heh. Tried that. Now I can no longer log in to Facebook as it seems clicking on any dialogue box within Facebook, including password boxes, cause the keyboard problem (for me).
  14. lokblaze said:
    Ok, this is weird. Over the last 4 days or so I will be on Facebook, typing in a comment, or even chatting with my wife on it's chat and suddenly my keyboard will quit responding. This happens ONLY on Facebook. After it stops responding I can't type anywhere else. No web pages, nothing. Even when I have a game up it won't respond. So it's like the keyboard is completely dead.

    Only solution so far has been to restart the computer which is annoying because I can lose whatever I was typing in a complex post, game play that isn't savable, etc.

    Any solutions people know of to get the keyboard reset and communicating again without restarting the computer? Anyone know why this only happens when on Facebook and not while in any other program or website?


    Something similar has been happening to me. When I try to type certain letters, I get the letters next to them. For example, if I type the letter S, I'll get AS or if I type A, I'll get AS. Today, it's three letters so A is now coming out as ASD. Also in FB but in other sites as well, when trying to put in search parameters. Seems to be working fine here and in Google search though. Very weird and frustrating because I have to resort to the virtual keyboard to chat on FB.
Ask a new question

Read More

Facebook Components Keyboards