Which is better? i3 4330 or i5 4440

Jellyboi

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Which is better if was going to be playing minecraft.

i3 4430 does 3.5ghz and i5 4440 does 3.3 ghz max turbo boost.
Minecraft only uses a max of 2 cores so would the i3 4430 be better for minecraft?

WHICH IS BETTER PEFORMANCE FOR MINECRAFT?!

Solution
Since minecraft is far from a multithreaded application, the faster clock speed of the 4330 would net you greater performance in minecraft. If you planned on playing other games, the i5 might handle them better.

The i3 is a great processor nonetheless.

RFM1997

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
A dual core is plenty capable to run Minecraft, yes. If you're only going to play light games such as Minecraft the I3 has got plenty of juice.

Just make sure that you got at least 4 GB Ram and an entry level graphics card. Integrated graphic controllers will not run Minecraft properly.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
Since minecraft is far from a multithreaded application, the faster clock speed of the 4330 would net you greater performance in minecraft. If you planned on playing other games, the i5 might handle them better.

The i3 is a great processor nonetheless.

Solution

DanKem06

Reputable
Feb 24, 2014
wait... im confused, are we talking about the I3 or the I5?

"i3 4430 does 3.5ghz and i5 4440 does 3.3 ghz max turbo boost" I thought this was a typo and you meant I5 4430, or I3 4340?

but I'm still going with my answer that getting either will not last as long as spending another 20 - 50 bucks and getting a 4670

MagicalJamJar

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Minecraft will play decently on the i3 4330 however you will get quite a few frame drops while flying around the map on the highest settings, you'll be able to do around 14 chunk render distance to get consistent gameplay, those special mountains worlds will take a while to render with frame drops to around 22 fps this is all as long as you have a decent entry level graphics card

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
The i3-4330 is a very capable processor. It's a heavy hitter even with highly multithreaded games like Battlefield 4 multiplayer. It's not going to have any problems with Minecraft, that's for sure.

The GPU won't matter too much for minecraft, anything you can afford would be able to handle it. GTX 750 Ti would be a nice low power solution, but there are better deals when it comes down to pure performance.

What other games are you thinking about playing?

MagicalJamJar

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

That's the exact build I have if you see my recent topic you'll see the performance goodies and issues I'm having hope that helps you decide :)

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

Yeah. Either CPU will be great for minecraft. The i5 might fare better in intense multiplayer games (Arma 3), however the i3 doesn't have any problems with singleplayer games. You would be better served spending the price difference between the i3 and the i5 on a better GPU for those games.