fx 8350 or i7 3770(k)

aWildLuke

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Ok so i have a question for you guys, i am looking to do a fair bit of gaming and video editing but i cant decide which cpu to pick from, the AMD fx 8350 or the i7 3770 (not a 3770k because i am unlikely to overclock). I am currently using the fx 6300 which means my current motherboard is compatible with the 8350 which will save me alot of money, so would it be beneficial to spend more on the 3770 and a new motherboard?

Solution
G
If money isn't a issue, Intel is the way I would go. But that requires a lot of work. You have to choose a new MB, completely reimage your setup, a lot of re-installing software (including the OS.) and then updating what you installed. It's really kind of a pain the the butt (and takes a while, depending on your connection to the internet). If you like that kind of thing, Intel it is. If you want plug in and go and some good performance then just get a 8350 and some good cooling. I remember they tended to run very hot.

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
its a matter of preference I suppose. upgrading your current computer to the 8350 will be less costly, switching to an intel 3770 will require a new chip, motherboard, and a whole new system setup. for your particular situation, the 8350 would be a wiser choice. I generally recommend intel, especially for video editing/gaming rigs. they have a more complete feature set, including native SATA 6gb/s, native USB 3.0, and native PCI-e 3.0. Go with the AMD 8350 for now, but for your next computer, consider swapping to intel.

aWildLuke

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

I already have a solid card being the GTX 760, and money is not an issue. I'm just wondering if intel would make a very notable difference for me (especially on the editing side)

logainofhades

Titan
G

If money isn't a issue, Intel is the way I would go. But that requires a lot of work. You have to choose a new MB, completely reimage your setup, a lot of re-installing software (including the OS.) and then updating what you installed. It's really kind of a pain the the butt (and takes a while, depending on your connection to the internet). If you like that kind of thing, Intel it is. If you want plug in and go and some good performance then just get a 8350 and some good cooling. I remember they tended to run very hot.

Solution

aWildLuke

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

I think i will get the 8350, i didnt think about the fuss it would be changing mobo

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
The cores will help with video editing, however Intel will do better for gaming (in general). The feature set of Intel doesn't really matter, USB 3.0 isn't used much and the PCI-e slot is useless considering we can't even saturate 1.1. Plus AMD supports USB 3.0 too.

Anyways I would get the 8350 with a good cooler. Since AMD has no upgrade path you'll want to OC the hell out of it. When your components gets outdated (probably 3-4 years), you can get a new CPU with a new mobo as well which should be Intel (unless AMD decides to continue making desktop CPUs then).

logainofhades

Titan

Save yourself another $50 and get the FX 8320. I missed that you had an FX 83xx compatible motherboard earlier.