i7 980 x still a good one dor nxt gen gaming?

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011

I agree with "M0j0jojo" the 980x is still a great CPU for anything you might want to do including "nxt gen gaming".
The 980x still beats the latest 6 core extremes in the FPU SinJulia benchmark and looses only slightly in others.

All in all it's about 15% slower than Intel's fastest CPU's today which is very good considering is was Released 4yrs ago.

If you already had a 980X I would tell you there is no need to upgrade or if you could get a 980X and X58 (LGA 1366) motherboard real cheap ($400 or so) I'd say go for it, but I doubt you can. Even on ebay X58 motherboards are still selling at a premium.

And then there's why I agree with "M0j0jojo", you should never build a new computer on old tech (unless you can do it dirt cheap).

The newest Intel enthusiast motherboards like the LGA 2011 have a number of improvements that the last gen enthusiast motherboard (LGA 1366) did not have. The Sata III is much improved, improved USB 3.0 and PCI Express 3.0 (although PCI Express 3.0 isn't really necessary yet).

You may also want to wait for the new X99 motherboards due out in the 2nd half of 2014 which will have many more great improvements.