Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$50 Headphone + Stand Alone Microphone

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
April 28, 2014 5:56:24 PM

Hey guys. I'm was looking for a good headset with a mic but a lot of people say that it's better to go with a headphone with a stand alone microphone since a headset with a mic has bad sound quality. My question is what is the best headphone + standalone mic combination for $50 or less?

Best solution

April 28, 2014 6:06:08 PM

You. Are. Killing. Me.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-iCE-Mic...

Blue Snowball, decent for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-ZX100-Series-Headphones-...

These Sony's are a pair I have. They have fantastic sound, but after 6-7 hours they become uncomfortable. For around 50 bucks this is the best combo I can give you.
Share
April 28, 2014 6:11:51 PM

Diox55 said:
You. Are. Killing. Me.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-iCE-Mic...

Blue Snowball, decent for the money.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-ZX100-Series-Headphones-...

These Sony's are a pair I have. They have fantastic sound, but after 6-7 hours they become uncomfortable. For around 50 bucks this is the best combo I can give you.


What am I killing you about :I? If it helps, how about a $50 standalone mic suggestion?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2014 6:16:47 PM

That mic is pretty good. I don't why I said it, but oh well. I suggest both of those. Unless you can come up a little bit, theres a pair of nicer headphones that I'd reccomend but their 30 bucks, so with the mic it'd be around 70 bucks instead.

Edit- these are 31 bucks, pretty good, I'd use them just for home use.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Premium-Hi-Fi-He...
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 6:29:00 PM

.... I'm not going to say anything... There's a reason alot of youtubers and such use on ear headphones.
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 6:34:17 PM

for a low budget of $50 you might be better off getting a headset as you will find it hard to get anything decent seperate for less. if you had a higher budget ($100-150) then i'd definitely suggest a blue snowball mic and a decent pair of headphones. overall you will have better sound and you will sound clearer to others but that is your call.

for only $50 though... its best to just buy a headset. i'd try a search for "best headset under 50" on google and sort through some results. sorry i dont use headsets so cant advise you on them... only seperate mic+headphone options.

in ears generally arent going to be great for a long term solution. while true that they do not make your ears sweat they can also be uncomfortable after a long period of time and tend to get dirty from use.

as far as "surround sound" i find that hard to believe since just as most stereo headphones they only have two drivers.. one left and one right. they will be similar to any other closed design stereo headset you can get in this regard. an open set of headphones will sound a bit more 3d or wider soundstage over closed designs.. but are still stereo. there are certain headphones with multiple drivers which attempt to replicate 5.1 surround and they are alright but honestly arent the same thing as speakers. most so called surround sound headsets however dont use multiple drivers but instead fake it with software.
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 6:40:21 PM

ssddx said:
for a low budget of $50 you might be better off getting a headset as you will find it hard to get anything decent seperate for less. if you had a higher budget ($100-150) then i'd definitely suggest a blue snowball mic and a decent pair of headphones. overall you will have better sound and you will sound clearer to others but that is your call.

for only $50 though... its best to just buy a headset. i'd try a search for "best headset under 50" on google and sort through some results. sorry i dont use headsets so cant advise you on them... only seperate mic+headphone options.

in ears generally arent going to be great for a long term solution. while true that they do not make your ears sweat they can also be uncomfortable after a long period of time and tend to get dirty from use.

as far as "surround sound" i find that hard to believe since just as most stereo headphones they only have two drivers.. one left and one right. they will be similar to any other closed design stereo headset you can get in this regard. an open set of headphones will sound a bit more 3d or wider soundstage over closed designs.. but are still stereo. there are certain headphones with multiple drivers which attempt to replicate 5.1 surround and they are alright but honestly arent the same thing as speakers. most so called surround sound headsets however dont use multiple drivers but instead fake it with software.


I've had these sony's for a few months, and their fantastic. For 150 you can get AT M-50x's, for 70 you can M30x's, and for 100 you can get M40x's. If you don't like Audio Technia, there's alot of options, but their a great company just too poor to afford stuff :/ 
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 6:59:50 PM

you can actually pick up m50s for about $99. if you looked at my build photos you'd see that i'm a proud owner.

however all of those are outside the budget of the op :) 

i'm not saying your headphones are bad for the price. i'm sure you like them alot. i just think that the op may be better suited with a headset for the budget or potentially expanding the budget a bit if they want something better sounding. that is up to them.
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 7:02:19 PM

ssddx said:
you can actually pick up m50s for about $99. if you looked at my build photos you'd see that i'm a proud owner.

however all of those are outside the budget of the op :) 

i'm not saying your headphones are bad for the price. i'm sure you like them alot. i just think that the op may be better suited with a headset for the budget or potentially expanding the budget a bit if they want something better sounding. that is up to them.


Well, I was talking about the newer M50's:

Newer M50: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professio...

Older M50: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Profession...
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 7:02:59 PM

By the way, link me to your build photos?
m
0
l
April 28, 2014 7:09:36 PM

its the link in my signature that says "build pics" :p 

however, if you wanted to discuss my build or photos please pm me instead of posting here.

i dont want to clog up his thread :) 
m
0
l
!