Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sudden CPU heat issues

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 29, 2014 9:15:05 AM

My PC has started having heat issues recently and I'm not sure why. I have a Sabertooth Z87 and an i74770k. The CPU fan is the stock cooler that came with the i7. I know that in some cases aftermarket fans are better, but I had/have no interest in Overclocking, so I just used the stock fan. I have never had heat issues before. The PC typically idles between 30 and 35C. When it is under heavy load, it typically sits between 65 and 75C. The heat issues now primarily occur when I am running Archeage (It is a PC game for those who are unaware). The temperature of the CPU climbs to 80+ during this, with spikes as high as 95. I have the Thermal Radar II software and have ran its Thermal Tuning program to try and optimize the fans, but it seems to benefit very little.

As an afterthought, I realized I should probably mention that while playing the game, the CPU only reaches about 25% load

I am at a loss on how to proceed because I have very limited knowledge on how the components work exactly. Does anybody know if there are any changes I can make to better control the CPU heat? The motherboard has 2 smaller fans that control airflow across the CPU, but I am unsure what the best way to use them is. For instance: Does anybody know what the best way to situate the control sliders on the motherboard fans? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

More about : sudden cpu heat issues

a c 79 à CPUs
April 29, 2014 9:26:04 AM

Sounds like it is just fully loading all cores. Intels run hot and the stock HSF is usually barely capable of keeping it cool.

An inexpensive aftermarket cooler would help a lot.

Something like:

Xigmatek Gaia
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
m
0
l
April 29, 2014 9:37:50 AM

maddogfargo said:
Sounds like it is just fully loading all cores. Intels run hot and the stock HSF is usually barely capable of keeping it cool.

An inexpensive aftermarket cooler would help a lot.

Something like:

Xigmatek Gaia
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO


While I have considered getting a better CPU fan (and plan to do in the near future), Its just odd to me that It only happens with Archeage in particular. I have ran Battlefield 4 on the highest settings and didn't have this issue. I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with the game in particular.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
April 29, 2014 10:15:39 AM

There's no two ways about it the stock fan/heatsink is crappy. The game is stressing the CPU which is causing more heat which the crappy cooler can't dissipate. What type of case do you have? If it can fit a Hyper 212 EVO is pretty cheap and will be alot better than the stock cooler.
m
0
l
April 29, 2014 10:20:19 AM

rds1220 said:
There's no two ways about it the stock fan/heatsink is crappy. The game is stressing the CPU which is causing more heat which the crappy cooler can't dissipate. What type of case do you have? If it can fit a Hyper 212 EVO is pretty cheap and will be alot better than the stock cooler.


The case is a NZXT Phantom mid tower. There is more than enough room for a new CPU fan. I will plan on getting one ASAP. For the time being however, is it safe to continue playing the game at this temp? I'm not talking long term, I'll get another CPU fan within a week.
m
0
l
a c 152 à CPUs
April 29, 2014 11:07:30 AM

Ok you have to make sure because the Hyper 212 and Hyper 212 Evo are pretty big and they won't fit in all cases. I really wouldn't 65-75 is pretty high and 80 to 90 is startig to get pretty close to the point of shutting down from to much heat.
m
0
l
April 29, 2014 11:34:07 AM

rds1220 said:
Ok you have to make sure because the Hyper 212 and Hyper 212 Evo are pretty big and they won't fit in all cases. I really wouldn't 65-75 is pretty high and 80 to 90 is startig to get pretty close to the point of shutting down from to much heat.


Ok, Thanks for all the help. I have one more question. I know that most high end CPU coolers require a backplate to be placed on the motherboard. I would really rather not have to pull the entire computer apart to use add the back plate. So are there any good CPU coolers that don't require one?

I know the Sabertooth z87 is supposed to be highly durable and sturdy as well. Is it possible to attach a cpu cooler to the board without adding a back plate?
m
0
l
!