when does anyone think a 100 tb hard drive will become commercially available, and why?

mrwinters

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
I am struggling in my ITT Tech class and I need to find hard evidence on when I think a 100tb hard drive will be commercially available, please help thank you

Solution
Do you mean SSD? PCI-e connected? Or an actual spinning platter based hard drive?

I would say that in theory, it would be possible to create a flash-based SSD of 100TB capacity connected via PCI-e slot, and it could theoretically be done today. The problem is, it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of (get this) $200,000 USD. It would require 200 M2 style 480GB SSD drives connected by a custom controller and mounted onto a very large card. Since it would have a huge amount of available bandwidth internally, it would be stupidly fast due to the inherent parallelism.

Now if you're talking about spinning platter drives, I'd answer with "not in my lifetime". Just following the basic scaling of density, since we haven't had any...

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Do you mean SSD? PCI-e connected? Or an actual spinning platter based hard drive?

I would say that in theory, it would be possible to create a flash-based SSD of 100TB capacity connected via PCI-e slot, and it could theoretically be done today. The problem is, it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of (get this) $200,000 USD. It would require 200 M2 style 480GB SSD drives connected by a custom controller and mounted onto a very large card. Since it would have a huge amount of available bandwidth internally, it would be stupidly fast due to the inherent parallelism.

Now if you're talking about spinning platter drives, I'd answer with "not in my lifetime". Just following the basic scaling of density, since we haven't had any monumental breakthroughs, if you look at a doubling in capacity every 4 years, to go out from 4TB now, to 100 TB, would require about 20 years. I'm probably not going to be around by then.

Solution

biohazrdfear

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
But in all seriousness, it will become available in the next 10-20 years. If you think about it, they already have TB hard drives. 1000 gigs. It doesn't take much more to slap in more memory. They even have a term for more than that, which is a Yodabyte. Roughly a trillion terabytes.

1 YB = 10008bytes = 1024bytes = 1000000000000000000000000bytes = 1000zettabytes = 1trillionterabytes

<<edited by moderator>>

JP7PlaysMC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014

100TB hard drives are going to be commercially available when there is a market to it. Nowadays people only buy 1TB and 6TB is considered overkill to everything that you might come up with. Drives usually die before they're all filled up so a 100TB would have more than half its capacity thrown to waste. If in the future there is such application that needs such big space in you're disk and is for the so called «regular people» then there most definitily will be some available. So for your work I'd suggest you so just say that, unless it is designed for the military, there will be no such thing available in the future and if they have the STUPID idea to come up with one it'll be intended for a niche of people that collect them/stare at them for hours and then go to sleep. I, myself, would just write that it is illogical for such thing to exist unless programmes start needing that much space and/or are intended for «enthusiastics» and there'll be a short amount of them available.

If nothing that I said has conviced you then...... They'll be available in the time that they'll be needed, like 2020 to make it easy on the humongous information centrals to keep all of their information on a single disk (of course backups will be required), but it'll make searches for the said informations to be held in a much more organized way.

Somewhere in the middle of all my rambling I might, just might, have been a bit redundant, but if you did understand something, I hope it at least helped in some way.

Snockoz

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

I'd say we wont need a 100tb drive till we have Powerful AIs... Something like Cortana from Halo would need 100tb or up drive.