Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1,000 - $1,200 Gaming PC build advice

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2014 7:32:02 PM

Hey all,
I am looking for advice on building a gaming PC that can run Starcraft 2 on high settings without significant FPS drop. I hear 60 FPS is the standard, so I want a system that can accomplish this with nary a stutter and be "future-proof" for at least the next few years (read: two), if possible. I suppose this would entail some degree of upgradeability. Starcraft 2 is probably the most demanding game I will be playing for a while, until I get Titanfall or some other new-fangled game. I have used the suggested template as follows:
Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime soon, hopefully within the next month (May)
Budget Range: $1,000 - $1,200 after rebates and after shipping, but there is definite wiggle room with this price range
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, gaming, gaming.
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Parts to Upgrade: Not really upgrading... Buying a new system!
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't have a preference
Parts Preferences: Not sure... I've heard different things about the pros/cons of Intel vs. AMD and NVIDIA vs. ATI. I am open to suggestions.
Overclocking: Maybe. Not sure if this benefits me greatly or is just a neat, albeit superfluous, option.
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. See above.
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 please. Or whatever is considered "decent" enough for gaming.
Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC and somewhat compact tower. I understand this might affect upgradeability, but I just don't want some hulking thing underneath my desk. The case need not be small, so maybe a mid-sized one would be in order.
And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not upgrading.
Thank you all in advance!

More about : 000 200 gaming build advice

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
April 29, 2014 7:55:17 PM

Hows this one look for you? It is a pretty good build with overclocking, monitor, and OS

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1160.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-29 22:54 EDT-0400)
April 29, 2014 10:50:15 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply! I like the build, but now am wondering about getting a smaller tower. I have seen some from Bitfenix that look decent. What about adding an SSD? I hear there are more than a few benefits to having one. Also, is liquid cooling a good option? I don't know how much better that would be compared to a fan in terms of noise. Lastly, I suppose an optical drive is necessary, as is wi-fi capability. What additions would you suggest for this build?
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
May 1, 2014 4:17:40 PM

Comrade_Soapy said:
Thanks for the prompt reply! I like the build, but now am wondering about getting a smaller tower. I have seen some from Bitfenix that look decent. What about adding an SSD? I hear there are more than a few benefits to having one. Also, is liquid cooling a good option? I don't know how much better that would be compared to a fan in terms of noise. Lastly, I suppose an optical drive is necessary, as is wi-fi capability. What additions would you suggest for this build?

No problem. The case is really a subjective thing so you just have to pick a decent case in your budget that you like Bitfenix makes some good ones.
An SSD will not speed up your gaming (slight for loading times no FPS boost) but will make your computer boot up faster and generally feel quicker overall.
Liquid cooling is really for OC but they are quieter however you are going to pay upwards of $100 for a good one. OC isn't strictly necessary but a 4670 and a higher end H87 board are only about $20 cheaper than a 4670K and a good Z87 board. (budget boards are a different story) You also need a Z87 board if you want to do SLI at any point.

If you can stretch it get this one the Formula mobo is an excellent one that has built in wifi (b/g/n/ac) already and the crosschill cooler if you switch to water later.
Maximus VI Formula

Optical Drive

Otherwise this is a good Wifi adapter Intel

SSD is if you want one and how large you want to get. The Samsung 840 EVO is pretty much the best value one out there.
m
l
May 3, 2014 8:05:21 PM

Thanks for the information!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2014 3:28:46 PM

Comrade_Soapy said:
Thanks for the information!

No problem hope it helped you out.
m