Solved

FRAPS file size is massive!?

I wanted to make a Let's Play video of a game today, so I used FRAPS and the recorded 2 videos, each about 14 minutes long. When I went to the video files, they were each about 22 Gb!!! What can I do about this? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to use a different program considering I just spent $37 on getting the unlocked FRAPS version...
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about fraps file size massive
  1. What GPU do you have? If you have nVidia GTX-600 or GTX-700 series GPU you can use nVidia "Shadowplay" which is awesome for recording.
  2. Fraps uses an uncompressed video codec that allows the display to be fully captured, thus resulting in large file sizes. If you want to convert them to a different file type, there are many free options for that, but FRAPS is working as intended there.
  3. If you are recording your gameplay in a high resolution it will deinitely be very large, I recommend picking up a hard drive just for storage of such things, this is a great choice: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

    Alternatively, when you have recorded your videos, upload them to youtube, then delete them
  4. patrick47018 said:
    If you are recording your gameplay in a high resolution it will deinitely be very large, I recommend picking up a hard drive just for storage of such things, this is a great choice: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003

    Alternatively, when you have recorded your videos, upload them to youtube, then delete them


    I have a means of storing the files, the main problem I'll have is doing the actual uploading to YouTube. The fastest internet I have access to is about 5.3 megabits per second
  5. about try bandicam?
  6. Ahmadjon said:
    What GPU do you have? If you have nVidia GTX-600 or GTX-700 series GPU you can use nVidia "Shadowplay" which is awesome for recording.


    I have a GeForce GT 650M
  7. Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    What GPU do you have? If you have nVidia GTX-600 or GTX-700 series GPU you can use nVidia "Shadowplay" which is awesome for recording.


    I have a GeForce GT 650M


    You're lucky, "Shadowplay" works on your GPU :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCkIaVxlDY
  8. Ahmadjon said:
    Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    What GPU do you have? If you have nVidia GTX-600 or GTX-700 series GPU you can use nVidia "Shadowplay" which is awesome for recording.


    I have a GeForce GT 650M


    You're lucky, "Shadowplay" works on your GPU :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCkIaVxlDY


    Is the program already installed or do I have to download it? And how does it compare to FRAPS quality/file size?
  9. It should come with nVidia drivers (at least it comes with my GTX-760 drivers) and it's 100% better than "Fraps" you can choose video quality, bit-rate, resolution and lock FPS at 30 or 60.
    Also performance hit is much lesser than "Fraps" :)
  10. Ahmadjon said:
    It should come with nVidia drivers (at least it comes with my GTX-760 drivers) and it's 100% better than "Fraps" you can choose video quality, bit-rate, resolution and lock FPS at 30 or 60.
    Also performance hit is much lesser than "Fraps" :)


    So if I were to record a 15 minute video of BioShock Infinite with quality settings up all the way both in-game and on Shadowplay, would the file size still be about 22 gigs?
  11. You can compress the FRAPS files for uploads, but shadowplay would be better off, smaller files, better software.

    Also I fell it necessary to share my pain of having 600KBps down, and 290 up :D
  12. Best answer
    You can count it, if the bit-rate is 50mbp/s which is 6.25MB/s then 15min = 900sec. * 6.25MB/s = 5625MB = 5.3~5.5GB's
  13. Gam3r01 said:
    You can compress the FRAPS files for uploads, but shadowplay would be better off, smaller files, better software.

    Also I fell it necessary to share my pain of having 600KBps down, and 290 up :D


    Oh boy, the 5.5 Megabits per second is the fastest I can get in my town, at the library. My family has VirginMobile Mifi Hotspot at home. We get 30 Kilobytes a second. Yea, it's virtually worthless.
  14. Ahmadjon said:
    You can count it, if the bit-rate is 50mbp/s which is 6.25MB/s then 15min = 900sec. * 6.25MB/s = 5625MB = 5.3~5.5GB's


    Thanks for answering all my questions! It looks like Shadowplay is the way to go. For anyone else wondering, here is a neat read to decide whats best for you: http://www.hardwarepal.com/nvidia-shadowplay-vs-fraps-vs-dxtory-review-benchmark/
  15. Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    You can count it, if the bit-rate is 50mbp/s which is 6.25MB/s then 15min = 900sec. * 6.25MB/s = 5625MB = 5.3~5.5GB's


    Thanks for answering all my questions! It looks like Shadowplay is the way to go. For anyone else wondering, here is a neat read to decide whats best for you: http://www.hardwarepal.com/nvidia-shadowplay-vs-fraps-vs-dxtory-review-benchmark/


    You're welcome :)
    If you have questions feel free to ask :)
    I also have slow internet connection :D 512kbp/s up/down and fastest internet is 100mbp/s but it costs 500$ month :(
  16. Ahmadjon said:
    Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    You can count it, if the bit-rate is 50mbp/s which is 6.25MB/s then 15min = 900sec. * 6.25MB/s = 5625MB = 5.3~5.5GB's


    Thanks for answering all my questions! It looks like Shadowplay is the way to go. For anyone else wondering, here is a neat read to decide whats best for you: http://www.hardwarepal.com/nvidia-shadowplay-vs-fraps-vs-dxtory-review-benchmark/


    You're welcome :)
    If you have questions feel free to ask :)
    I also have slow internet connection :D 512kbp/s up/down and fastest internet is 100mbp/s but it costs 500$ month :(


    For now, we can only dream of Google Fiber every night...
  17. Yeah! :(
  18. Ahmadjon said:
    Yeah! :(


    New problem. It says ShadowPlay Not Ready. It shows requirements, I have all of them checked except for one: "GeForce GTX desktop GPU, 600 series or higher, or notebook GTX 660M, 670MX, 675MX, 680M, 700M series or higher".
    I'm on an Alienware M14X laptop, so I guess I didn't meet that requirement?
  19. Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    Yeah! :(


    New problem. It says ShadowPlay Not Ready. It shows requirements, I have all of them checked except for one: "GeForce GTX desktop GPU, 600 series or higher, or notebook GTX 660M, 670MX, 675MX, 680M, 700M series or higher".
    I'm on an Alienware M14X laptop, so I guess I didn't meet that requirement?


    Honestly, I don't know why but in YouTube video that guy already uses "Shadowplay" in his laptop.
  20. Ahmadjon said:
    Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    Yeah! :(


    New problem. It says ShadowPlay Not Ready. It shows requirements, I have all of them checked except for one: "GeForce GTX desktop GPU, 600 series or higher, or notebook GTX 660M, 670MX, 675MX, 680M, 700M series or higher".
    I'm on an Alienware M14X laptop, so I guess I didn't meet that requirement?


    Honestly, I don't know why but in YouTube video that guy already uses "Shadowplay" in his laptop.


    Looks like I'm stuck using Fraps and getting file sizes too large to even dream of working with
  21. Just use video converters and you'll be fine (I hope :D).
  22. Ahmadjon said:
    Just use video converters and you'll be fine (I hope :D).


    I set it to Half-size in the settings. The video quality is alright, a bit blurry, but the video size is 1/3 of what it used to be
  23. Alex VanDover said:
    Ahmadjon said:
    Just use video converters and you'll be fine (I hope :D).


    I set it to Half-size in the settings. The video quality is alright, a bit blurry, but the video size is 1/3 of what it used to be


    At least it would take lesser time to upload videos :D
Ask a new question

Read More

File Size Video Games Systems