Solved

Is this Workstation build all compatible and working?

Hello everyone,

Yes the title says it all. But the PC will be used for Maya, Video rendering, Photoshop and Zbrush.

This is the build and MAX BUDGET = 2000$.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Bd0u

If any workstation pros have any better ideas for this budget please.

Note: I will be doing no gaming whatsoever.

I do not need: Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. I aldready have 2x 1920x1080 monitors.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about workstation build compatible working
  1. Those programs all benefit from GPU acceleration, and AutoCAD is now using DirectX so gaming GPUs will work fine. A GTX 760 would greatly improve performance for you:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.24 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1222.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-30 09:58 EDT-0400)
  2. But won't the Quadro still outperform the GTX 760? My father will also use it a little for video rendering. The plan is to also be able to upgrade to 32 gigs of RAM down the line.
  3. You may want to look up benchmarks, but I know AutoDesk is using DirectX now, so I am not sure that K4000 is $700 better.
  4. Transmaniacon said:
    Those programs all benefit from GPU acceleration, and AutoCAD is now using DirectX so gaming GPUs will work fine. A GTX 760 would greatly improve performance for you:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.24 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($82.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1222.12
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-30 09:58 EDT-0400)

    Do you think this build looks promising? Plus I'll only put the OS on the SSD, no other programs. And I have an external HDD so I don't need 2 TB internal.
  5. I would put your OS and programs on there, but you don't need a 240GB SSD for that.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($267.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($101.24 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1105.14
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-30 10:12 EDT-0400)

    Let me take a look at some benchmarks and see if it's worth spending more on a workstation card.
  6. Best answer
    Okay so I looked at benchmarks and Maya is a little different from the rest of the Autodesk products, and workstation cards are definitely the way to go, specifically AMD FirePro, which beats nVidia Quadro. I would recommend this, and it will still keep you under budget: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195118
  7. Transmaniacon said:
    Okay so I looked at benchmarks and Maya is a little different from the rest of the Autodesk products, and workstation cards are definitely the way to go, specifically AMD FirePro, which beats nVidia Quadro. I would recommend this, and it will still keep you under budget: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195118

    Thank you, I couldn't find any proper answers by myself regarding the benchmarks. I'll definately go for the FirePro W7000. I have one last question though, would it be worth the difference in performance gain if I went for a Intel Core i7 4930K rather than the Xeon E3 - 1240 V3? If the difference is not big enough then I'd go for the Xeon since the work isn't really that intense it's more of a long termish thing, and thank you again.
  8. Well going that route would add about $400. That i7 has the same clock speed, but with 4 extra threads. It will probably improve your video rendering times, and you can take advantage of faster RAM, but clock speed is still the big factor in a lot of those programs. Looks like you will be slightly over budget, but LGA2011 is Intel's workstation chipset.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($565.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Other: AMD FirePro W7000 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFire Supported Workstation Video Card ($799.99)
    Total: $2121.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-30 10:50 EDT-0400)
  9. Transmaniacon said:
    Well going that route would add about $400. That i7 has the same clock speed, but with 4 extra threads. It will probably improve your video rendering times, and you can take advantage of faster RAM, but clock speed is still the big factor in a lot of those programs. Looks like you will be slightly over budget, but LGA2011 is Intel's workstation chipset.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($565.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($80.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
    Other: AMD FirePro W7000 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFire Supported Workstation Video Card ($799.99)
    Total: $2121.87
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-30 10:50 EDT-0400)


    Thanks again, It seems that the I7 4930K will improve times by 10 - 20 minutes when rendering, I found a few places where people have said that, nonetheless it don't find myself such a hasty person so I think I will stick with the Xeon, it also seems that it's a lot more stable and taking the Xeon lets me upgrade with left over money later down the line, and thanks a million again!
  10. Yeah I think the Xeon will work well for your needs. Glad I could help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Compatibility Workstations Build Systems