Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

CPU suddenly overheating ?! :O

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 30, 2014 8:39:05 AM

hey , i hope someone can help me here :c

i have the I7 3770 (3.4GHZ NEVER EVER touched it to overclock or anything)
i have been gaming without ANY issues for like 8 months or so...
All out of the sudden i had a system shutoff with the Error saying my CPU got overheated !?
http://i.imgur.com/7CMSFsq.jpg , here is a picture of the Temps... http://i.imgur.com/Ld8lKbz.jpg

i tried playing games as Rust , BF4 and i got upto 90 degrees , i instantly turned the game off because i am afraid to burn my CPU.
And idea how i can fix this ? i think it might be because of the dust in the Stock cooler (yes its a stock cooler never had any problems) yesterday it worked fine played BF4 etc on ULTRA no problems now POOF pc off ? Help me please !

More about : cpu suddenly overheating

April 30, 2014 8:46:44 AM

You may need to replace the heat sink. But, if I were you I'd dust off the heat sink first, before replacing it if needed.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 8:51:50 AM

Yes dust (and your room temperature if the changing seasons have made it hotter) could have pushed it over the edge IF it was already running hot. However, a stock CPU really shouldn't be overheating. I would definitley clean all dust off the heatsink first and see what happens. If it is still pushing upper limits I would remove the heatsink and reapply thermal compound. Is is possible the heatsink was never locked down all the way to begin with so you want to be sure each of those pins locks tightly.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 30, 2014 8:53:44 AM

Can you please tell me the safest/best/easiest way to clean it ? never done it before and don't wanna mess things up.
m
0
l

Best solution

April 30, 2014 8:55:39 AM

jezeey said:
Can you please tell me the safest/best/easiest way to clean it ? never done it before and don't wanna mess things up.

Well, the best way to clean it is using compressed air, remove the heat-sink before you blow it though, when removed it wear an anti-static band. Once you're placing it on, re apply thermal paste.
Share
April 30, 2014 8:56:38 AM

Oh, btw, in order to remove the thermal paste you'll need to use a pure alcohol solution with some cotton.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 8:57:42 AM

Can't i just Blow the dust of basicly ? kinda afraid to mess things up when reapplying the paste etc :s
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 8:58:03 AM

Yes, you can blow it in place. Use a can of compressed air. Turn off PC and blow directly on the heatsink while trying to avoid making the fan blades spin at extremely high rate. While you are in there see if the heatsink appears to be tightly pinned down. Any smokers near the PC? Cigarette smoke makes the heatsink a magnet for dust.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 9:02:45 AM

Well, nikita787 and notherdude said it all, remove it, blow it, wipe off the old thermal paste remains and replace with some new.
Make sure the heatsink its locked in place as you finish, and check if the fan spins with no problems as you power it on.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 9:07:33 AM

In my opinion with a possessor like this one you should have at least one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..... consider it an upgrade to future-proof the system. Even if you clean your cooler now it will probably shorten the life-spend of your CPU by time specially if you live in a warm environment.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 9:11:05 AM

notherdude said:
Yes, you can blow it in place. Use a can of compressed air. Turn off PC and blow directly on the heatsink while trying to avoid making the fan blades spin at extremely high rate. While you are in there see if the heatsink appears to be tightly pinned down. Any smokers near the PC? Cigarette smoke makes the heatsink a magnet for dust.

there have never been smokers near my pc.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 30, 2014 9:16:43 AM

jezeey said:
notherdude said:
Yes, you can blow it in place. Use a can of compressed air. Turn off PC and blow directly on the heatsink while trying to avoid making the fan blades spin at extremely high rate. While you are in there see if the heatsink appears to be tightly pinned down. Any smokers near the PC? Cigarette smoke makes the heatsink a magnet for dust.

there have never been smokers near my pc.


Good! (Didn't mean to suggest there had been.) So a simple blow out ought to settle the issue one way or the other. If you get the heatsink dusted off and still you have heating issues then you need to remove it, reapply thermal compound and then reattach it making sure all 4 pins lock down. That locking issue sometimes rears its head because on the stock intel heatsink is a little tricky to figure out which way the arrows are supposed to be turned.

m
0
l
!