Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

c drive ssd d drive hdd can i use trim

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 30, 2014 9:46:22 AM

As above my c drive is a ssd and my d drive is a hdd, can i still use trim and will my pc only set trim on c drive?
April 30, 2014 9:52:10 AM

Yes, trying to run a trim command on hdd would do nothing (if you could do it).
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 9:57:33 AM

Yeah only wanted trim enabled on my ssd but didn't want it to start trying to mess with data going to hdd. Am i right in thinking trim is set up on the ssd from the os via a command? Then it is the ssd that sets the trim once data is received?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 30, 2014 10:02:16 AM

If your installed OS supports TRIM it should normally run automatically when the system is idle. And yes OS sends the TRIM command to the drive which then performs the function. If you install the software from your SSD manufacturer it should also have the option to manually run the TRIM command.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 11:07:31 AM

Samat said:
If your installed OS supports TRIM it should normally run automatically when the system is idle. And yes OS sends the TRIM command to the drive which then performs the function. If you install the software from your SSD manufacturer it should also have the option to manually run the TRIM command.


Ok so i got mint 13 on my desktop, trim enabled, later on i install a few packages and it messes up my system. I have my os backed up how i liked it before so i then re install it, will trim still be enabled?

Regards jon
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 1:05:10 PM

jonboy79 said:
Samat said:
If your installed OS supports TRIM it should normally run automatically when the system is idle. And yes OS sends the TRIM command to the drive which then performs the function. If you install the software from your SSD manufacturer it should also have the option to manually run the TRIM command.


Ok so i got mint 13 on my desktop, trim enabled, later on i install a few packages and it messes up my system. I have my os backed up how i liked it before so i then re install it, will trim still be enabled?

Regards jon


If trim was enabled when you did the backup then it should be enabled if you use that backup to restore your system.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 1:16:01 PM

Samat said:
jonboy79 said:
Samat said:
If your installed OS supports TRIM it should normally run automatically when the system is idle. And yes OS sends the TRIM command to the drive which then performs the function. If you install the software from your SSD manufacturer it should also have the option to manually run the TRIM command.


Ok so i got mint 13 on my desktop, trim enabled, later on i install a few packages and it messes up my system. I have my os backed up how i liked it before so i then re install it, will trim still be enabled?

Regards jon


If trim was enabled when you did the backup then it should be enabled if you use that backup to restore your system.


No because i use my laptop with a hdd, add programs and stuff to the laptop, play around with it a little then if it seems stable move it across to my desktop. Or can i activate trim on my laptop os if it doesn't work with a hdd and it will be fine on both? Or shall i just activate after putting os on sdd??

Thank you so much
m
0
l

Best solution

April 30, 2014 1:24:23 PM

jonboy79 said:
Samat said:
jonboy79 said:
Samat said:
If your installed OS supports TRIM it should normally run automatically when the system is idle. And yes OS sends the TRIM command to the drive which then performs the function. If you install the software from your SSD manufacturer it should also have the option to manually run the TRIM command.


Ok so i got mint 13 on my desktop, trim enabled, later on i install a few packages and it messes up my system. I have my os backed up how i liked it before so i then re install it, will trim still be enabled?

Regards jon


If trim was enabled when you did the backup then it should be enabled if you use that backup to restore your system.


No because i use my laptop with a hdd, add programs and stuff to the laptop, play around with it a little then if it seems stable move it across to my desktop. Or can i activate trim on my laptop os if it doesn't work with a hdd and it will be fine on both? Or shall i just activate after putting os on sdd??

Thank you so much


In that case you should only activate trim after you put the os on ssd. It shouldn't do anything on the hdd anyway since it doesn't support the command.
Share
!