Best 780 Model?

Neji

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I'm looking to invest in a new GPU - my current ASUS 6950 is still doing alright but starting to struggle with some of the newer games.

So, I'm in the market for either a 770 or a 780 I think - the 780Tis are out of my budget and I'm looking to spend no more than £400.

So basically I'm looking for recommendations of which model is seen as the best. I'm a big fan of ASUS and EVGA as I've had nothing but good experiences with them so I'm leaning towards those atm. Amazon are listing these both at around £395 - snugly inside my budget.

I currently mostly game at 1080p but I'll probably also be investing in a higher resolution monitor in the near future.

Any suggestions?

jeremyp79

Distinguished
You can't really go wrong with evga, with their excellent customer service, and with their step up option coupled with the fact that the 8 series might be dropping soon, I think it's kind of a no brainer. Asus makes great parts too, but in my experience, their customer service is absolutely horrible.

dottorrent

Honorable

800 series delayed because of 20nm chip problems. I still believe the Palit model is the best one. It has golden reviews everywhere. EVGA make some very good cards as well, as do MSi and Gigabyte.

Combatmed1

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
I generally stick with EVGA cards. Even their reference cards are really nice! EVGA is also one of the best in my opinion for warranties, step-up program, etc. I have also noticed that EVGA cards tend to overclock really well!

The EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Classified ACX would be the one I would recommend.

It's slightly quieter than the Palit GTX 780 Super JetStream at idle and definitely quieter at load.

dottorrent

Honorable

Well according to the reviews by Hexus, it's not substantially quieter than the Palit card. In fact, they are close to no quieter than each other.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/60269-evga-geforce-gtx-780-classified/?page=10

Where and when did I say it was "substantially quieter" ?