Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

OS and drivers for new SSD dell inspiron n5110 hard drive?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
April 30, 2014 3:19:11 PM

My hard drive on my laptop fried so I have no way to backup and recover the OS and drivers off of it. I know a few people that have the XP OS disk and drivers. Would this work to put this back on since this is what was on the laptop. I know SDD's do not like XP.

If not how can I get the windows 7 OS and find out what drivers are on my laptop to load back on it?

The sdd I bought is a samsung evo 500gb:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3W19MO/ref=oh_deta...

I bought a western digital external hard drive a month ago and backed up my files to it but I am unsure if the OS or drivers were backed up to it as well. How would I figure this out? This is the external hard drive:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=...

Thank you

More about : drivers ssd dell inspiron n5110 hard drive

a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2014 3:40:16 PM

Buy the relevant Win 7 OS. Go to the Dell site and download the relevant drivers to a USB stick or DVD.

Install.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2014 4:16:16 PM

Jordanmow said:
Is this the cheapest place to get windows 7?:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM688803201?h...
Are all the drivers available on Dell and are they free?


"The Microsoft Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade allows you upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Home Premium"

That is only an upgrade from Starter to Home Premium.

This at Amazon is what you want:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Pa...
Share
April 30, 2014 4:28:00 PM

Wow it's pretty much worth it to just buy a new laptop since it cost just as much to fix it. Do you have the link of where to download the drivers at?
m
0
l
a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2014 4:34:12 PM

Jordanmow said:
Wow it's pretty much worth it to just buy a new laptop since it cost just as much to fix it. Do you have the link of where to download the drivers at?


A new Windows 7 OS is $85. A new drive is under $100.
How do you plan to buy a new (rational) laptop for $185?

Drivers you get from dell.com.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 4:37:53 PM

The SSD was $250 and the windows 7 is $80 so that's over $300 and I think the laptop was $400 when I bought it.
m
0
l
a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2014 4:40:07 PM

Jordanmow said:
The SSD was $250 and the windows 7 is $80 so that's over $300 and I think the laptop was $400 when I bought it.


OK.
And new $400 laptops don't come with an SSD.
m
0
l
April 30, 2014 4:45:50 PM

True and when something else breaks in the future the SSD will be a nice upgrade to any factory laptop I buy. I found all the drivers I need. There is 39 of them. Is it possible they are saved on my external hard drive or is there pro bolt just my files on that? Also is this a good guide to use when putting the new OS and drivers on:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...
m
0
l
a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2014 4:54:05 PM

Download the relevant drivers for the particular OS. You can't use them from whatever is on the external.
Easier just to download then to a USB or DVD and install as needed.

Yes, that guide is pretty good.
m
0
l
May 4, 2014 6:05:31 PM

USAFRet said:
Download the relevant drivers for the particular OS. You can't use them from whatever is on the external.
Easier just to download then to a USB or DVD and install as needed.

Yes, that guide is pretty good.


Won't I need the USB drivers installed to be able to pull the files off the USB or is there no drivers for this ans the USB stick will install what it needs to be able to open when you plug it in.
m
0
l
a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2014 6:13:06 PM

Jordanmow said:
USAFRet said:
Download the relevant drivers for the particular OS. You can't use them from whatever is on the external.
Easier just to download then to a USB or DVD and install as needed.

Yes, that guide is pretty good.


Won't I need the USB drivers installed to be able to pull the files off the USB or is there no drivers for this ans the USB stick will install what it needs to be able to open when you plug it in.


Once the OS is installed with the base set of drivers, it can read a USB stick.
m
0
l
May 4, 2014 6:33:34 PM

USAFRet said:
Jordanmow said:
USAFRet said:
Download the relevant drivers for the particular OS. You can't use them from whatever is on the external.
Easier just to download then to a USB or DVD and install as needed.

Yes, that guide is pretty good.


Won't I need the USB drivers installed to be able to pull the files off the USB or is there no drivers for this ans the USB stick will install what it needs to be able to open when you plug it in.


Once the OS is installed with the base set of drivers, it can read a USB stick.


So do the base drivers come with the OS or how exactly do I get them if not off the USB? Sorry for all the newb questions.

m
0
l
May 4, 2014 6:49:16 PM

Also when starting the computer the first time with the SSD after putting in the OS cd/DVD will it be able to recognize and install it since the optic/DVD driver is not installed yet?
m
0
l
a c 300 D Laptop
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2014 6:52:29 PM

Yes, it will work.
Thousands of blank PC's get installed that way every day.
m
0
l
!