750 ti Consistantly showing 1020 Mhz on MSI Afterburner. [SOLVED]

JadonP

Reputable
May 1, 2014
I was just doing some light gaming to see the stability of the new overclocking numbers I put into my new 750 ti, and I glance over and notice this.
http://imgur.com/UCrjjQK

It's sitting there pinned at 1020mhz and only seems to go up, not back down. Now I'm still a little new to overclocking and the various ins and outs of GPU mechanics, but I'm not entirely without experience, and I seem to recall it idlling down to 135mhz and such regularly, not ramping up to 1020 with zero percent load and staying there.

Is this normal? Or is there something I need to do to fix this? I did just recover from my computer hanging and lagging badly after attempting to save a copy of the GPU BIOS with GPU-Z and having the entire program freeze then crash, did that roach something?

Solution
Well. I feel a little stupid, but a little more snooping found that I'd set the power settings to Prefer Max Performance, and that causes it to always stay near it's max base clock speed, which explains why it wasn't overheating or exploding."

I switched back to Adaptive, closed out all my windows and poof, idled back down to 135mhz.

Feel a WEE bit dumb, I haven't owned a Nvidia GPU since the GT440. >.<

JadonP

Reputable
May 1, 2014
Well. I feel a little stupid, but a little more snooping found that I'd set the power settings to Prefer Max Performance, and that causes it to always stay near it's max base clock speed, which explains why it wasn't overheating or exploding."

I switched back to Adaptive, closed out all my windows and poof, idled back down to 135mhz.

Feel a WEE bit dumb, I haven't owned a Nvidia GPU since the GT440. >.<

Solution