R9 290 Benchmarks

gonzo72

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hello,

I am curious about my benchmark results and if they are on par with what I should expect. The frame rate variance in some games seems higher than I expected when upgrading from a 570 GTX and it could be i just set my expectations too high. The benchmarks below are using the free versions of 3D Mark and Heaven. In Heaven my average seemed fine, but you can see that it has a huge variance. Tom's doesn't use it in their benchmarks so I didn't have a point of comparison and hoped some of you kind folks could tell me if I should expect more from my setup. Long time Nvidia user wondering if a 780 would have been the better choice, but thinking it is all in my head right now :)

3D Mark Fire Strike
9153 with AMD Radeon R9 290(1x) and Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
Graphics Score 11339
Physics Score 7525
Combined Score 4315

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System

Platform:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (3399MHz) x4
GPU model:
AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 14.100.0.0 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1920x1080 2xAA fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
Ultra
Tessellation:
Normal

Solution
Thank you for the reply Maurelie. I had it over clocked to 1100 for the benchmarks and typically run it 1050, which is slightly faster than the factory clock of 1000 on the card. I was having other issues with my PC since installing the card, for example yesterday I couldn't click on any of the shortcuts on my desktop. I have had other applications slow down as well, things as simple as surfing the net. It just hasn't seemed very stable, even at factory settings, to what it was like with the 570 installed.

I reinstalled my 570, uninstalled all the drivers, did a clean install on the AMD drivers and things improved. AMD also installed their gaming software from Raptr and that appeared to be causing some issues as well. Things have...

gonzo72

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Thank you for the reply Maurelie. I had it over clocked to 1100 for the benchmarks and typically run it 1050, which is slightly faster than the factory clock of 1000 on the card. I was having other issues with my PC since installing the card, for example yesterday I couldn't click on any of the shortcuts on my desktop. I have had other applications slow down as well, things as simple as surfing the net. It just hasn't seemed very stable, even at factory settings, to what it was like with the 570 installed.

I reinstalled my 570, uninstalled all the drivers, did a clean install on the AMD drivers and things improved. AMD also installed their gaming software from Raptr and that appeared to be causing some issues as well. Things have been running better since I uninstalled it last night and I hope the trend continues.

Part of this is probably the games I am playing most as well, which are ESO and WOT. WOT just updated their engine and ESO is relatively new so maybe the drivers just haven't been optimized for them yet. Gaming performance here should improve in the future and it isn't so low that it ever gets choppy.

I will see how things run over the next few days and then decide whether to keep it or exchange it for a new card.

Thank you again for the reply.

Solution