I5 4440+h87m plus +r9 280 vs i5 4670k +z87 plus+r9 270x?

Solution
The i5-4440 combo is ideal for right now.

The i5-4670K may be better in the future when you upgrade the graphics.

My advice is get the i5-4440, especially since by the time you upgrade your graphics we will be starting to switch to DX12/Manlte/OpenGL that is better able to use your CPU thus possibly eliminating any bottlenecks there.

For example, most games can't use more than 50% of a 4-core CPU's resources due to the game software. Once that limitation is overcome your CPU is 2x more powerful in terms of what the game can actually use.

(BTW, if you see all four cores being used in the Task Manager that doesn't mean the game is fully threaded. A game might only be able to address TWO cores but with hundreds of small processes...

Ben8014

Reputable
May 1, 2014
If you want good performance in games for a great price, get a MSI R9 270. You can overclock that thing so easily without it even getting close to over heating. You would get the same results in benchmarks as a 270X when you overclock it (which AMD made it very easy to do).

The i5-4440 combo is ideal for right now.

The i5-4670K may be better in the future when you upgrade the graphics.

My advice is get the i5-4440, especially since by the time you upgrade your graphics we will be starting to switch to DX12/Manlte/OpenGL that is better able to use your CPU thus possibly eliminating any bottlenecks there.

For example, most games can't use more than 50% of a 4-core CPU's resources due to the game software. Once that limitation is overcome your CPU is 2x more powerful in terms of what the game can actually use.

(BTW, if you see all four cores being used in the Task Manager that doesn't mean the game is fully threaded. A game might only be able to address TWO cores but with hundreds of small processes starting and stopping on random cores it appears like the CPU can be fully used. The only way to know if a game can fully use four threads is to see almost 100% usage on all four threads.)

Solution