Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

pc starts then turns off in a matter of seconds

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
May 2, 2014 8:49:19 AM

Hi,

I just had this problem when I replaced my videocard.
Thse are my hardware:
Core i5 3570
Mobo: msi h77 g43
Gskill ripjaws 4gb x 2
Coolermaster extreme 2 525
Msi gtx 760 TF
WD 500gb blue.

Can someone please explain what caused this problem.

Thanks in advance.
May 2, 2014 9:03:55 AM

I would need more information on what problems you're experiencing exactly but if I had to take an immediate guess I'd point to power supply failure.
m
0
l
May 2, 2014 9:21:09 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I would need more information on what problems you're experiencing exactly but if I had to take an immediate guess I'd point to power supply failure.


When i switch on my pc. The fans and lights turn on then it turns off in 2-5 secs. Then turns on again. Then off.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 2, 2014 9:38:00 AM

The CM Extreme II line of PSUs is of very poor quality and ratings are not to be trusted. You prolly need a better PSU.

What video card?

Yogi
m
0
l
May 2, 2014 9:46:02 AM

rmalcoriza said:
g-unit1111 said:
I would need more information on what problems you're experiencing exactly but if I had to take an immediate guess I'd point to power supply failure.


When i switch on my pc. The fans and lights turn on then it turns off in 2-5 secs. Then turns on again. Then off.


For sure it's a failed power supply. You should definitely look at replacing ASAP.
m
0
l
May 2, 2014 9:54:44 AM

Y0GI said:
The CM Extreme II line of PSUs is of very poor quality and ratings are not to be trusted. You prolly need a better PSU.

What video card?

Yogi


MSi GTX 760 TwinFrozr OC
m
0
l

Best solution

May 2, 2014 2:01:29 PM

rmalcoriza said:
Y0GI said:
The CM Extreme II line of PSUs is of very poor quality and ratings are not to be trusted. You prolly need a better PSU.

What video card?

Yogi


MSi GTX 760 TwinFrozr OC


According to Nvidia, that reference card needs a 500W min. PSU: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
According to HardOCP, it needs 336 W.: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/02/msi_n760_tf_2...

So, that CM PSU may or may not be adequate because CM doesn't say anywhere on the box that PSU comes in that it actually puts out "525 Watts" They just call it an "Extreme II 525" without the "Watts".

Here is a test of the CM Extreme II 475 which only put out 430 W. so I don't trust the CM Extreme II 525 to put out a full 525 Watts: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Ex...

If the 525 tested out the same its output would be 475 Watts Max. Not enough in my opinion.

Yogi

Share
May 2, 2014 2:54:13 PM

Y0GI said:
rmalcoriza said:
Y0GI said:
The CM Extreme II line of PSUs is of very poor quality and ratings are not to be trusted. You prolly need a better PSU.

What video card?

Yogi


MSi GTX 760 TwinFrozr OC


According to Nvidia, that reference card needs a 500W min. PSU: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
According to HardOCP, it needs 336 W.: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/07/02/msi_n760_tf_2...

So, that CM PSU may or may not be adequate because CM doesn't say anywhere on the box that PSU comes in that it actually puts out "525 Watts" They just call it an "Extreme II 525" without the "Watts".

Here is a test of the CM Extreme II 475 which only put out 430 W. so I don't trust the CM Extreme II 525 to put out a full 525 Watts: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Ex...

If the 525 tested out the same its output would be 475 Watts Max. Not enough in my opinion.

Yogi



Thanks yogi! Is there a chance That the other components are damaged by that faulty psu?
m
0
l
May 2, 2014 3:08:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks yogi! Is there a chance That the other components are damaged by that faulty psu?


You're welcome.

While it is possible that something may have been damaged, the system is designed to shut down before damage can occur. That is what I believe that you're seeing.

Yogi
m
0
l
!