Solved

Is my CPU bottlenecking me?

Hello everyone, I am here again to ask for your advice.

Currently I own an AMD FX 6300 OC @ 4.5GHZ Stable, I won battlefield 4 on a twitter contest.
So I installed and ran the game, sadly I must drop settings to medium in order to get 60+ fps all the time (yes I dont like my games droppin below 60 because of stuttering).

So I was wondering if i should ditch my cpu right now, and get an i5 4570?

I currently have $350 to invest in an upgrade for the next year. So I can only choose one thing.

or should I upgrade my GPU? I currently have a gtx 660.

I game at 1600x900p.
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu bottlenecking
  1. Your CPU isn't so bad - and I certainly wouldn't call it a bottleneck, although the 4570 is most definitely a better processor (especially for gaming).
    Battlefield 4 is a very CPU intensive game, but with that GPU I'm unsure as to whether or not you'll see a discernible difference with a new i5.
  2. At this point its your GPU bottlenecking the most but you CPU is to. I'd upgrade your GPU it'll give the best fps boost. CPU and GPU would be ideal for keeping 60+ on ultra. Get r9 280x. Using an AMD GPU of that caliber will allow you to use mantle with bf4 making your CPU run a lot more effiecintly plus the 280 is stronger then the 660 in every way
  3. Best answer
    Upgrading your GPU is where you should go first. You can always upgrade your current cpu to an FX-8320 or 8350. The 8350 will not bottleneck any GPU on the market. If you go the intel route you will also have to replace your motherboard when it is not needed.
  4. I also recommend GPU upgrade. FX 6300 or better actually is really good for BF4. Your GPU is more or a midrange card. So either turn down some eye candy or get a new GPU.
  5. firo40 said:
    At this point its your GPU bottlenecking the most but you CPU is to. I'd upgrade your GPU it'll give the best fps boost. CPU and GPU would be ideal for keeping 60+ on ultra. Get r9 280x. Using an AMD GPU of that caliber will allow you to use mantle with bf4 making your CPU run a lot more effiecintly plus the 280 is stronger then the 660 in every way


    I agree, grab a 280x.
  6. An 8350 will bottleneck in low threaded and highly CPU intensive games. Any mmo or RTS will have substantially better minimum fps with Intel. The IPC of AMD fx CPUs is half of current Intel cpus
  7. firo40 said:
    An 8350 will bottleneck in low threaded and highly CPU intensive games. Any mmo or RTS will have substantially better minimum fps with Intel. The IPC of AMD fx CPUs is half of current Intel cpus


    We are talking about BF4, which is not a low threaded title. ;)
  8. Yeah that's why I recommended a 280 and using mantle to improve his CPU performance. If he's gunna shell out money to replace his CPU he might as well go for a real upgrade not just a 6350 to 8320. Mantle and a 280x will give him a lot better performance without a CPU upgrade
  9. Mantle might help some, but BF4 is one title that FX actually does really well with.
  10. Well I cant upgrade to a 8350 because My motherboard doesnt support it :/

    So I am stuck with this cpu, so even if I wanted to get an 8 core cpu from amd it would cost me the same than getting a new i5 with a new board.

    Thats why I am asking, should I keep this cpu for this year and get a gtx 770 or r9 280x OR, get an i5 with a new board and keep my current gpu.

    thank you.
  11. Get a 280x. That is your best option.
  12. Upgrading the GPU is going to give you a bigger boost that upgrading the CPU. Just make sure your PSU is going to be able to handle the new GPU.
  13. My psu is a corsair cx600
  14. You should be fine with a 280x and that PSU.
  15. Sooooooooo I went out and got an i7 4770, AAAAAAAAAAAND I have the same fps -______-

    damn biggest mistake of my entire life, It even has the same spikes in bf4 that I had with my fx 6300...........

    I guess amd isnt that bad after all.... time to start saving or get someone interested in my fx6300 so i can upgrade my gpu instead.
  16. You were told to get a better GPU, and that your CPU was still fine. Why did you waste money on a 4770? Even if you wanted to upgrade to i7, a Xeon 1230v3 would have been a better buy. :pfff:
  17. logainofhades said:
    You were told to get a better GPU, and that your CPU was still fine. Why did you waste money on a 4770? Even if you wanted to upgrade to i7, a Xeon 1230v3 would have been a better buy. :pfff:


    i guess i let myself be dragged by the omg intel ftw nuff said fanboys.

    really I feel like a dumbass and its even as loud as my overclocked fx 6300.

    and it runs almost as hot.

    fck. this. sht.
Ask a new question

Read More

Bottleneck Games CPUs