Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disk usage spiking to 100% and making computer slow

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
May 2, 2014 6:13:04 PM

Ever since I windows updated itself on my laptop a few days ago, my computer will every once in a while start to slow down extremely badly for a while. I've been trying to figure out why and the main thing I've noticed is that whenever it happens, my hard disk usage spikes up to 100%. It was not doing this until the day after my computer updated and my laptop has never had a problem like this before.
a b D Laptop
a c 413 * Windows 8
May 2, 2014 10:34:14 PM

bmcke said:
Ever since I windows updated itself on my laptop a few days ago, my computer will every once in a while start to slow down extremely badly for a while. I've been trying to figure out why and the main thing I've noticed is that whenever it happens, my hard disk usage spikes up to 100%. It was not doing this until the day after my computer updated and my laptop has never had a problem like this before.

Some process must be using too much RAM causing your machine to use Pagefile which would account for the increased HDD activity. Use Task Manager (Processes) to identify what is using the RAM and take it from there...

m
0
l
May 3, 2014 7:37:01 PM

dodger46 said:
bmcke said:
Ever since I windows updated itself on my laptop a few days ago, my computer will every once in a while start to slow down extremely badly for a while. I've been trying to figure out why and the main thing I've noticed is that whenever it happens, my hard disk usage spikes up to 100%. It was not doing this until the day after my computer updated and my laptop has never had a problem like this before.

Some process must be using too much RAM causing your machine to use Pagefile which would account for the increased HDD activity. Use Task Manager (Processes) to identify what is using the RAM and take it from there...



This won't help me much. My computer's RAM isn't being completely used and the amount being used isn't changing when my disk usage starts spiking up either. Closing out of programs isn't stopping the spikes up to 100% either, they still happen anyway and make the computer almost unusable while it's happening.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 4, 2014 10:38:36 PM

dodger46 said:
Hmmm. Not so simple, then. Bit lengthy but Clean Boot should isolate to a process.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 (8)


I tried doing a clean boot, but it seems like the problem is still happening afterwards. Those instructions said hide all microsoft services before disabling everything, so I'm guessing it's either one of those things, or something unrelated that's causing it.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a c 413 * Windows 8
May 4, 2014 11:12:52 PM

bmcke said:
dodger46 said:
Hmmm. Not so simple, then. Bit lengthy but Clean Boot should isolate to a process.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 (8)


I tried doing a clean boot, but it seems like the problem is still happening afterwards. Those instructions said hide all microsoft services before disabling everything, so I'm guessing it's either one of those things, or something unrelated that's causing it.

I read somewhere that unlike it's predecessors W8 constantly checks the HDD for errors, perhaps accounting for your Drive usage.
One option was to try running chkdsk from CMD prompt
winkey plus X
Command Prompt (Admin)
chkdsk /f /r then Enter
Allow it to run on restart.
Restart your PC

m
0
l
May 4, 2014 11:32:36 PM

dodger46 said:
bmcke said:
dodger46 said:
Hmmm. Not so simple, then. Bit lengthy but Clean Boot should isolate to a process.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 (8)


I tried doing a clean boot, but it seems like the problem is still happening afterwards. Those instructions said hide all microsoft services before disabling everything, so I'm guessing it's either one of those things, or something unrelated that's causing it.

I read somewhere that unlike it's predecessors W8 constantly checks the HDD for errors, perhaps accounting for your Drive usage.
One option was to try running chkdsk from CMD prompt
winkey plus X
Command Prompt (Admin)
chkdsk /f /r then Enter
Allow it to run on restart.
Restart your PC



Hm, I already tried the chkdsk idea after reading somewhere else and that didn't help. I'll try reading the suggestions in the other thread and trying those and seeing if it helps at all.
m
0
l
!