450 pound pc?

Helpmeee

Reputable
May 3, 2014
I want to create a pc for around 450 quid with the best value for money possible, I'll only be running wow to start with but I want to be able to move onto any other games if I wish. Can somebody please help me decide the components with a reason for each?

I found this from somebody else's thread and I'm not sure if it's good or not? I honestly have no clue when it comes to gaming pcs or building my own so help would be much appreciated.
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£77.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£53.95 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£60.55 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£29.37 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7790 1GB Video Card (£110.63 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Zalman Z5 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.68 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.40 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.79 @ Amazon UK)
And I was going to try and include samsung evo 120gb ssd if that's possible?

Many thanks.

Solution

Your original card vs the 750ti comparison

That looks affordable, and I use that term loosely. The thing with prebuilt systems are they will usually try to make savings with components. Very often they do this with the Power Supply. The more money you spend on a computer, the more wary you should be of prebuilt systems cutting money on the power supply. Consider it the heart of your system, and a cheap PSU that isn't from a trusted maker is prone to fail and fry your computer.

For...

Seeking Solace

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
I'm not an expert, but I would like to partake in the discussion...

SO Arguably, since you are starting out playing WoW, you could maybe get an SSD and save up for a HDD before you start playing other more demanding games.
This goes closer to the £500 than your £450 target, I put that down to the after market CPU cooler I added to the build.
Another sacrifice was having 4GB of RAM instead of 8GB. 6GB I believe still being the maximum that games will use, so 4GB should still see you well. It will however be one more thing in the back of your mind to upgrade down the line...
I added what should be a much better graphics card to be better prepared for more demanding games when you look into it. Comparison.
an XFX power supply for brand reputation.
As for Processor upgrades, I believe the next and final step you will be taking without purchasing a new motherboard would be the FX 8320. The 6300 is capable and will last you a good while, so when you do come to considering your next upgrade you may well be looking at an entirely new line of motherboards/processors.

I added the CPU cooler because AMD apparently can run hot and the after market cooler should do a little better than stock and be quieter. I have no experience with that though, so I invite scrutiny from other posters.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£76.79 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£53.95 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£35.36 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£52.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card (£139.99 @ Aria PC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£45.90 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£45.98 @ Dabs)
Total: £488.19
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-03 13:36 BST+0100)

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Seeking Solace

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
8GB of RAM is the recommended for a gaming system, the 6300 is capable and the 8320 would just be the upper end of the 6300. I THINK the 8320 would be better for a budget editing system than a gaming system. I don't know that you would notice a difference between the two playing WoW.
It is highly likely that when you come to upgrading next you will be looking at a completely different line of motherboards/cpus since I read the roadmap for the FX series is at an end.

Seeking Solace

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
IF you can afford it, you might consider putting in the HDD as well as the SSD to save you the hassle of opening up your build later to add it in. Other than that you are pretty much sorted unless someone else has a better suggestion.
Builds at your price range generally lock in the parts though, the processor/mobo choices for example. From there you are just looking for the cheapest RAM/GPU/PSU/HDDs that have good reputation/reviews and a half decent case to get you started.

Seeking Solace

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014

Your original card vs the 750ti comparison

That looks affordable, and I use that term loosely. The thing with prebuilt systems are they will usually try to make savings with components. Very often they do this with the Power Supply. The more money you spend on a computer, the more wary you should be of prebuilt systems cutting money on the power supply. Consider it the heart of your system, and a cheap PSU that isn't from a trusted maker is prone to fail and fry your computer.

For the difference in price, it's much safer and allows much better upgrade options to go for a system build that you put together. That ebay listing STILL comes without Windows, which is again where the money is being hidden away from, that said, building your own still requires that consideration.

As a cheap WoW build, I think that would do you, but you would probably be considering an entirely new system when you are ready to play more demanding games. The ram, HDD, motherboard and processor you could salvage and bring into a new system with a new GPU, PSU and maybe a new case to put it in.
Arguably, and I'm not suggesting you do it, but you could build an APU system for around the same price that would play WoW and less demanding games. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/a10-7850k-a8-7600-kaveri,review-32867-7.html

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor (£119.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard (£72.62 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory (£63.99 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£52.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case (£35.98 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £392.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-03 17:54 BST+0100)

If you are considering the ebay listing, check out some benchmarks on the 750ti for WoW (should be good anyway) and a couple of newer games. If you found yourself upgrading that system down the line for better gaming you would be considering a new Power supply and graphics card.

All things for you to think about. Definitely worth looking around for what suits you the best.

Solution

Latest posts