Solved

help me setup a computer for trading, please

Hi,

I am really very grateful to all the nerds and geniuses here for helping people solve their technological problems. I am really grateful for this community and am honored to be a part of it

I need help in setting up my existing computer to do Trading. I want to setup a dual monitor and need your immense help.

My Desktop configuration is as follows.

Motherboard: Asrock G41M-VS3 R2.0 (has only 1 vga port, that's all no DVI)
Processor: Intel Core 2 duo 2.66 GHz processor
RAM: Transcend 8 GB DDR 3 RAM 1333 MHz (2 sticks of 4 GB each)
Power supply: Solitaire 500 W
Graphics card: On board graphics card with shared memory, no separate graphics card is installed
HDD: 200 GB Seagate HDD

1. There is 1 VGA port in the motherboard and I have not bought a separate graphics card but would buy if you recommend.
2. I want to buy 2 monitors preferably 21 inches and above.I want the monitors to have excellent color quality as I will also be using the monitors for
a. Watching HD videos
b. Photo editing (adobe photoshop, gimp)
c. Video editing (if possible)
d. Reading ebooks and pdf files
e. Browsing the web, apart from trading

My budget is 18000 Indian rupees which roughly equals 300 $, but am willing to spend some extra if need be.

Please help me in buying the MONITOR and GRAPHICS CARD and anything else which is necessary.

Thank you all of you for your helpful nature.
Eagerly waiting for your replies

Jag
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about setup computer trading
  1. Do you really need two 21" monitors? Can you settle for a single 24" or 27" monitor? This will let you put more money on a better video card.
  2. I agree with the above comment. Get yourself a decent video card first. Your machine will labor to run dual monitors without one. You don't need a real expensive model. You can get a used one in the Radeon 4670 range for about $40. There are lots of 21" monitors out there for decent prices. You should be able to get 2 for less than $300. So that's a total of less than $400 total.
  3. Best answer
    What sort of trading? I am guessing stock or commodity futures but am not certain. We really need to know what operating system you use. Guessing from the other hardware its probably xp or vista but you may have upgraded. From the sound of things you want to do some amateur Photoshop as well, you are also on a fairly restrictive budget.

    So http://www.infibeam.com/Computers_Accessories/lg-19-5-inch-led-monitor-20en33ts/P-coac-70492027237-cat-z.html#variantId=P-coac-97568988472 for a pair of 20 inch monitors. Then purchase a dual HDMI or dvi output geforce210 on flip cart. Out the extra 5000ruppees toward your next computer purchase.
  4. n3cw4rr10r said:
    Do you really need two 21" monitors? Can you settle for a single 24" or 27" monitor? This will let you put more money on a better video card.


    Hi thanks for replying, Here monitors above 24 inches are priced about 200 $ or roughly 12,000 INR, for a single monitor. And you know i would like to seperate some research websites from the trading software and thought that two 21 inches, would work out well.

    But i am considering your suggestion and presently looking out for any used 24 or 27 inches monitor. Thanks for giving me a perspective.
  5. Maxor1 said:
    What sort of trading? I am guessing stock or commodity futures but am not certain. We really need to know what operating system you use. Guessing from the other hardware its probably xp or vista but you may have upgraded. From the sound of things you want to do some amateur Photoshop as well, you are also on a fairly restrictive budget.

    So http://www.infibeam.com/Computers_Accessories/lg-19-5-inch-led-monitor-20en33ts/P-coac-70492027237-cat-z.html#variantId=P-coac-97568988472 for a pair of 20 inch monitors. Then purchase a dual HDMI or dvi output geforce210 on flip cart. Out the extra 5000ruppees toward your next computer purchase.


    Hi, thanks for replying,

    Yes, i am into intraday and swing trading of stocks, futures & options of NSE and BSE stock exchanges, and now learning to trade commodities.
    I am using windows 7 64 bit ultimate and will upgrade to windows 8.1 64 bit by october this year.
    I am willing to extend my budget by another 5000 rupees if need be. I am checking out the LG monitors you gave from the link. I am beginning to like it. Thank you very much
  6. hans_pcguy said:
    I agree with the above comment. Get yourself a decent video card first. Your machine will labor to run dual monitors without one. You don't need a real expensive model. You can get a used one in the Radeon 4670 range for about $40. There are lots of 21" monitors out there for decent prices. You should be able to get 2 for less than $300. So that's a total of less than $400 total.


    Thanks for replying, you are right my machine runs low even though i have 8GB or DDR3 RAM, then i came to know that my processor is not that powerful. I am considering your suggestion for a moderate inexpensive graphics card.

    Can you please help me by giving a good model of monitors that has good color quality and video playback quality.

    Thanks
  7. I recently bought a Radeon 5830 on ebay for $38. And a Radeon 4670 for $28. They are a little dated but still much better than a brand new card for $70. I would stay away from the older high power cards. They use too much power and burn out much quicker.
  8. I always shop Newegg and READ THE REVIEWS. I think it is the best place to get informed on a new purchase.
  9. hans_pcguy said:
    I recently bought a Radeon 5830 on ebay for $38. And a Radeon 4670 for $28. They are a little dated but still much better than a brand new card for $70. I would stay away from the older high power cards. They use too much power and burn out much quicker.


    Hi thanks for replying. Both Radeon 5830 and 4670 are unavailable.
  10. Well there are several video cards in that range. Sometimes it takes a while to find a good deal. It's not like buying new where you just pick one and buy it. You will have to do some work on eBay to find a deal. But there are deals there.
  11. hans_pcguy said:
    Well there are several video cards in that range. Sometimes it takes a while to find a good deal. It's not like buying new where you just pick one and buy it. You will have to do some work on eBay to find a deal. But there are deals there.


    Thank you so much of your time! i am very grateful to you. I am in searching mode in ebay, olx.in, quikr.in for used graphics card. thanks
  12. Just one quick note: Stay away from cards that take a lot of power. Don't get a Radeon HD 5830. They take way too much power. The ones that take a lot of power make a lot of heat, burn out quicker, and require a bigger power supply. I will try to put a list together of good cards for you. at least a partial list.
  13. The best way to help you would be to start with helping you understand the Radeon naming system.This is how I would explain it. The old system (since you would presumably be buying something a little older) Goes like this: In Radeon HD 4650 "4" "6" "5" "0". The "4" is the generation it was made, 3 older 4 newer 5 newer yet etc. The "6" stands for the major power group. 9 the highest then 8,7,6 and so on. The "5" is a minor power consideration. 9 highest then 8,7,6 etc. So a Radeon 4870 would be older buy more powerful than a Radeon 5450. What you could expect to get a good deal on on a reasonably good graphics card would be something like a Radeon 4670, 4770, 4850, 5670, 5760, 5770,(the 58xx cards are all pretty high power consumption, I would stay away from them) 6670, 6770, 7750. You can Google these cards and the Nvidia equivalence. Before you buy just Google the card and see the performance, size and power consumption. I use the Radeon 4670 for my standard when building a computer. If it compares well to that card, you should be able to buy it for under $40. Also watch out for power consumption. I would recommend that you stay under 80 or 90 watts. You could push that up a little if you get a really good deal. If you have more questions feel free to ask.
  14. hans_pcguy said:
    The best way to help you would be to start with helping you understand the Radeon naming system.This is how I would explain it. The old system (since you would presumably be buying something a little older) Goes like this: In Radeon HD 4650 "4" "6" "5" "0". The "4" is the generation it was made, 3 older 4 newer 5 newer yet etc. The "6" stands for the major power group. 9 the highest then 8,7,6 and so on. The "5" is a minor power consideration. 9 highest then 8,7,6 etc. So a Radeon 4870 would be older buy more powerful than a Radeon 5450. What you could expect to get a good deal on on a reasonably good graphics card would be something like a Radeon 4670, 4770, 4850, 5670, 5760, 5770,(the 58xx cards are all pretty high power consumption, I would stay away from them) 6670, 6770, 7750. You can Google these cards and the Nvidia equivalence. Before you buy just Google the card and see the performance, size and power consumption. I use the Radeon 4670 for my standard when building a computer. If it compares well to that card, you should be able to buy it for under $40. Also watch out for power consumption. I would recommend that you stay under 80 or 90 watts. You could push that up a little if you get a really good deal. If you have more questions feel free to ask.


    Are you a tech god or something? I would never have learnt anything about the naming of radeon cards, if it hadn't been for you. Thanks for such immense help. This was the best answer i had ever got. I will heed your advice and look for the cards, in the shops around. Your answer is the best! I deeply appreciate the time you have taken to answer my query.
    I had created another thread "http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2136355/custom-graphics-card-dual-monitors-video-smooth-web-browsing-photoshop.html", for getting graphics card details. Can you post the answer to this thread please. I request you to kindly do so. I appreciate your zeal to help people, please keep up this good quality for life. May God bless you. Thanks and Thanks again. Jag
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards dual monitor setup trading Systems