New FX-8320. Having some issues.

Right, so, my new FX-8320 just came in two days ago. I have run it stock stock for a while, without any issues. I did not reformat, like some people have suggested. I have an M5A97 EVO motherboard, and a XFX XXX Pro-series 650 watt PSU. I use a Thermalright Archon SB-E x2 for my cooling solution.

My issue pertains to overclocking. I can run 4.4 ghz at 1.3 volts, however, shortly after starting the test, my CPU begins to throttle, and with Prime95, it locks up. AIDA stays stable, but displays the throttling. The maximum core temperature is only 55C, as according to HWMonitor.

I honestly don't know what is causing this throttling. I am assuming that my lock-ups are a by-product of the Prime95 not handling the throttling well, and not because I did not reformat. My PSU is up to the task.

So, I need ideas of what is up.

I have three thoughts:

1) I am feeding my CPU too much voltage for the frequency. I have heard that if you overvolt, that can cause issues. I am currently reworking my overclock to see if this is the case.

2) I, somehow, failed in installing my cooler properly. I've done it plenty of times before, but has anyone had a similar problem that has fixed it by re-installing the cooler?

3) Is my motherboard the weak-point here? Is it limiting me, like somehow the VRMs are actually overheating?

Solution
The quality of the board for overclocking is holding you back , no matter how much cooling you get , that isn't an elite overclocking board.

Sabertooth

Asrock Extreme 9

Crosshair

990FX Killer

Are great overclocking boards.

Your components are excellent , except the board.
I get the same issue when I up the voltage to 1.35 volts. I can't remember if I tried 1.4? (It's 1 AM; I'll try it tomorrow.)

Right before I made this post, just for funsies, I set my Vcore to 1.5, and my Multiplier to 25, and I could run the AIDA stress test program. (So, 5 ghz.) No lock-ups, but obviously thermal throttling; my multipliers kept dropping, and my temperature kept bouncing between 60 and 52C.

But, yeah, I think I lucked out on the silicon lottery. Even though the chip wanted to run at 1.3 Vcore at stock, when I put it under load it would run at 1.2v, give or take 0.05.

I am currently running 4.0 ghz at 1.2 volts. I just finishing gaming without any issues. I'm going to stress-test it overnight, and see what happens.

i only get 4.3 at stock voltage, which i think is around 1.35v , so 4.4 is good at 1.3V. i would look into HWmonitor while running tests, see if its the CPU or the socket thats getting hot first, you might want to put a fan (80mm or slim fans) behind the socket, and maybe over the VRM too. i have an ASUS board with 6 VRMs and they arent as accommodating as i had hoped they would be, has me wishing i had 8 to work with.

I just finished running this setting overnight:
stock.png

A bump up in multiplier causes a core to fail.

EDIT: Blargh. Just woke up, so I wasn't thinking straight. I have a Corsair 300R, with a total of three 120mm fans on the rear and top exhaust, and two 140mm as front intake.

thottling.jpg

In retrospect, I should have pulled up AMD Overdrive's, or AIDA's, clock-frequency monitor.

But, either way, I just wanted to show you guys the raw numbers behind the throttling issue. The maximum was 69C on the Socket, and 55C on the CPU Core. Both are below maximum thresholds, and I still have some breathing room.

As you can see by AIDA, I was clock 4.4 ghz, and I bumped up the voltage to 1.4, just to ensure stability.

I'm, uh, at a loss of what to think, at this point.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
The quality of the board for overclocking is holding you back , no matter how much cooling you get , that isn't an elite overclocking board.

Sabertooth

Asrock Extreme 9

Crosshair

990FX Killer

Are great overclocking boards.

Your components are excellent , except the board.

Solution
One of my friends I was talking to at work was saying that his motherboard begins to throttle when his temperatures reached 69C at the socket.

I thought this was a bit odd, since, with my FX-4170, I have been up to 75C before. (Stupidly.) Then again, that was a different CPU with a slightly different architecture.

I am going to try some different things, to see if I can improve cooling to my VRMs and Socket a bit, to allow more headroom. See if that might alleviate some of the problems. (I have a feeling it will not, but, I do have some different fans to try...)

That said, do you have a particular favorite, or recommendation, of the motherboards listed? It's going to take me a bit to do some research, but having a headstart would be nice.