Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which Power Supply Should I Keep (Cosair or Thermaltake)?

Last response: in Components
Share
May 5, 2014 12:46:17 AM

Hey there!

I need some advice.
I'm building a budget gaming pc, and I want to just use one of my old but still good power supplies.

I have a Corsair TX 650 watt (non-modular) - about 3 years old. (Btw, it's this version.)
And...
I have a Thermaltake Toughpower 750w (modular) - about 5 years old.

Again, both psu run well.
But I just don't know which one is better/more useful (or safer) for my new build?

And what are the dangers of having a faulty psu (for the other PC components)?

Thanks.

P.S.

I kind of have an idea of which is better (the corsair), but it's just that I would really like to have a modular psu in my new build.

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
May 5, 2014 12:55:42 AM

Monitor the voltages on each PSU. Use the one with the best voltages (closest to reported voltage). Assuming of course that 650 watts is sufficient. They are both tier 2 power supplies.
Share
May 5, 2014 12:25:13 PM

terry4536 said:
Monitor the voltages on each PSU. Use the one with the best voltages (closest to reported voltage). Assuming of course that 650 watts is sufficient. They are both tier 2 power supplies.


How do I monitor the voltages?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 446 4 Gaming
a c 2187 ) Power supply
May 5, 2014 1:53:42 PM

The Corsair is the better power supply , but both are decent quality.

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1

Antec Neo HE
Antec High Current Gamer Series
Antec EarthWatts greater than 700 watt
Antec TruePower Trio
Antec TruePower Quattro
Antec TruePower New -- 750w
Akasa PowerGreen 80+
CoolMax CTG-750 watt/850 watt/1000 watt
Cooler Master Ultimate/UCP
Cooltek CT
Corsair GS600 / GS800
Corsair HX
Corsair RM 550
Corsair TX :D 
Corsair VX
Cougar SX700 and GX700
Enermax Liberty
Enermax Infiniti
Enermax MaxRevo 1350
Enermax MODU82+
Enermax Platimax (600, 750, 850, 1.2K)
Enermax PRO82+
Enermax PRO87+ (500w + 700w)
Enermax Triathlor (550, 650, 700)
Enhance ENP-GH
Fortron (FSP) GLN
Hale82-m 650-750w
iStarUSA PD2
iStarUSA PD3
LEPA G500
OCZ EliteXStream
OCZ Fatal1ty
OCZ GameXStream less than 1000 watt (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
OCZ StealthXStream 400 watt
OCZ StealthXStream 2 greater than 700 watt
OCZ Modstream (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
OCZ EvoStream
OCZ ProXStream
OCZ Z(t)(s) Series Less than 1000W
OCZ ZX 850w
PC P&C Silencer less than 610 watt
PC P&C Silencer MkII
Rosewill Capstone (450, 750)
Rosewill Fortress
Rosewill Hive (550, 650)
Seasonic G series
Seasonic S12
Seasonic M12
Seasonic Energy Plus
Sentey Golden Steel Power 850w
SevenTeam ST less than 600 watt
Silverstone OP/DA 700 watt or less
Supermicro/AbleCom
Thermaltake Toughpower greater than 600 watt :D 
Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800w
Topower Powerbird 900w
Xclio StablePower
XFX Core Edition
Xigmatek MC
Xigmatek HC
Ultra X3
Ultra X-Pro
Zalman ZM less than 1000 watt
m
0
l
May 5, 2014 3:36:15 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
The Corsair is the better power supply , but both are decent quality.

Tier 2 Brands - Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability - For Those With Price/Availability Issues With Tier 1

Antec Neo HE
Antec High Current Gamer Series
Antec EarthWatts greater than 700 watt
Antec TruePower Trio
Antec TruePower Quattro
Antec TruePower New -- 750w
Akasa PowerGreen 80+
CoolMax CTG-750 watt/850 watt/1000 watt
Cooler Master Ultimate/UCP
Cooltek CT
Corsair GS600 / GS800
Corsair HX
Corsair RM 550
Corsair TX :D 
Corsair VX
Cougar SX700 and GX700
Enermax Liberty
Enermax Infiniti
Enermax MaxRevo 1350
Enermax MODU82+
Enermax Platimax (600, 750, 850, 1.2K)
Enermax PRO82+
Enermax PRO87+ (500w + 700w)
Enermax Triathlor (550, 650, 700)
Enhance ENP-GH
Fortron (FSP) GLN
Hale82-m 650-750w
iStarUSA PD2
iStarUSA PD3
LEPA G500
OCZ EliteXStream
OCZ Fatal1ty
OCZ GameXStream less than 1000 watt (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
OCZ StealthXStream 400 watt
OCZ StealthXStream 2 greater than 700 watt
OCZ Modstream (only if manufactured in December 2007 or later)
OCZ EvoStream
OCZ ProXStream
OCZ Z(t)(s) Series Less than 1000W
OCZ ZX 850w
PC P&C Silencer less than 610 watt
PC P&C Silencer MkII
Rosewill Capstone (450, 750)
Rosewill Fortress
Rosewill Hive (550, 650)
Seasonic G series
Seasonic S12
Seasonic M12
Seasonic Energy Plus
Sentey Golden Steel Power 850w
SevenTeam ST less than 600 watt
Silverstone OP/DA 700 watt or less
Supermicro/AbleCom
Thermaltake Toughpower greater than 600 watt :D 
Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 800w
Topower Powerbird 900w
Xclio StablePower
XFX Core Edition
Xigmatek MC
Xigmatek HC
Ultra X3
Ultra X-Pro
Zalman ZM less than 1000 watt


Thanks for the info.

Yeah corsair probably does seem better.
But if I do instead go with thermaltake (to take advantage of it being modular), is it risky using it because the one I have is 5 years old?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
May 5, 2014 4:08:07 PM

You can use this utility to check the voltage. If you have an Asus motherboard for example, then Asus AI Suites II will work too.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I have a Dell system that is still chugging along with the original PSU. It is a 1999 model, (not used much anymore though).
m
0
l
a c 446 4 Gaming
a c 2187 ) Power supply
May 5, 2014 4:16:21 PM

No , it's a quality Thermaltake supply you should be fine.
m
0
l
May 5, 2014 6:28:22 PM

terry4536 said:
You can use this utility to check the voltage. If you have an Asus motherboard for example, then Asus AI Suites II will work too.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I have a Dell system that is still chugging along with the original PSU. It is a 1999 model, (not used much anymore though).


Ok, I downloaded the program and ran it, but I'm having difficulty understanding what to look for (regarding the psu).
Can you please tell me how to read it and see the psu voltage, etc?
Thanks.

And here's a screenshot (for the corsair tx650 w psu):


SR-71 Blackbird said:
No , it's a quality Thermaltake supply you should be fine.

Thanks!
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 5, 2014 6:34:17 PM

Just use the modular one lol. I am working with full wired ones and I removing the optical drives to stick all the wires in the optical bays lol.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
May 5, 2014 10:00:33 PM

For example, the +12V measurement should be close to 12 volts. The same applies to 3.3V & 5V.

The acceptability limits for a power supply is plus or minus 5% of the reported value (12 volts) 11.4 to 12.6 volts. I think in practical terms they should be closer to 12 volts myself. A good power supply can hold the voltage to within a few hundredths of a volt.
m
0
l
May 5, 2014 10:26:56 PM

terry4536 said:
For example, the +12V measurement should be close to 12 volts. The same applies to 3.3V & 5V.

The acceptability limits for a power supply is plus or minus 5% of the reported value (12 volts) 11.4 to 12.6 volts. I think in practical terms they should be closer to 12 volts myself. A good power supply can hold the voltage to within a few hundredths of a volt.


Thanks! It makes sense. :) 

m
0
l
!