Keep my 770 or change to SLI 760?

noahster283

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I currently am running a Gigabyte Windforce 770 4GB, I'm running duel monitor (only one for gaming, the other is for internet browsing and fan monitoring while gaming), would it be worth the extra $150 to sell my current card and get teo EVGA 4GB 760 FTW cards and run them in SLI? And if I did would that mean I have 8 GB of dedicated V-RAM? What kind of a difference would it mean for me (I mod Skyrim and such) to double my V-RAM? Thanks

Solution
1) Keep the 770, and SLI later if you need to.
2) Downstepping to SLI isnt a good idea, you will have no upgrade path from there.
3)You will be limited to one cards memory, as in 4GB only.
4)It wouldnt help much, just keep the 770 and SLI if you must.

A 770 2GB is plenty for 1080p, let alone 4GB, let alone SLI.
1) Keep the 770, and SLI later if you need to.
2) Downstepping to SLI isnt a good idea, you will have no upgrade path from there.
3)You will be limited to one cards memory, as in 4GB only.
4)It wouldnt help much, just keep the 770 and SLI if you must.

A 770 2GB is plenty for 1080p, let alone 4GB, let alone SLI.

Solution
Probably not a good idea.

1. If you are gaming on one monitor, a second static side monitor adds no load.
2. 4gb vs. 2gb is not much worth it normally, let alone 8gb.
But... skyrim mods may push that.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/
3. dual gpu's have some issues with inconsistent response and stuttering.
4. You should be having a 700w psu for sli GTX760.

If you need more graphics horsepower, sell the GTX770 in favor of a GTX780

skyrim will crash if it goes over 3.1gb. memory management is built into most enb's for skyrim now which almost always keeps vram from going over 3.1gb, only in extreme 4k/8k scaling used for down sampling exotic screen shots will skyrim pass 3.1gb if memory management is used in conjunction with cleaning, tagging, and bashing. skyrim has a memory leak but there is a fix for this now that requires some effort to software mod the game. for most users this wont help much but does fix things. if you know how to clean, tag, and bash your mods correctly, you can figure out the software memory fix.