i7-3770 temps (passive cooling question).

Lubie Placki

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Hey quick question.

Im using noctua nh-d14 on my i7-3770 (turbo 41 and fixed voltage for stability). Just now my 140mm noctua fan broke and i cant rly rma it right now as i wont be home for at least 2 months (and i dont have warranty card here). Im using the 120mm fan in other cpu so im on passive right now.

Now the question. Can i run my cpu at around 68C-77C(max so far) temps for thoes few months without damaging it? Thoes 77c temps were only when i ran Wot, hearthstone and gw2 + firefox and a movie at one time (yeah multitasking FTW). Usualy it stays around 68C while heavy gaming. In IBT i got to 88C on one core after 35 runs with very high option but i wont best stresing the cpu so far on normal usage thats for sure.

My normal temps with 140mm fan instaled in mid were around 65 max while gaming and 77-78 while stress testing. Its pretty hot in my room around 20-28C.

I could buy a new fan but im pretty sure noctua will replace the broken one for free (i got one 120mm shipped for free when it broke down after 3 years) so i rly dont want to buy a new one and would prefer to run it on passive if it wont kill the cpu.

Lubie Placki

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
Well i dont think 65C is hgh. I have fractal r3 case with 2 fans on low rpm so its pretty hot inside and was only using noctua 140mm fan on low rpm. Btw i just found out that max temp for this one is 105c and lots of ppl are running it around 70-80C daily when its heavy oced K version for years now and they are fine so i thin ill be ok. It seems i have simmilar temps to the stock cooler with non OC and mine is 4100 turbo not 3900.

Btw gw2 is a pretty cpu intensive game thats why its so hot. Games like crysis stays at around 66-67 C without the cooler now :p