Another 100% disk usage thread

taylorhuston

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop and having issues with disk usage spiking.

The weird thing is it isn't one process or service. It's a combination of several different things, it just always adds up to 100%. Usually my browser, sometimes AVG, right now something called Windows Module Installer is using 60%, and System fills in the rest. But it's always 100% and causes things to be very slow.

Ran several scans so I am pretty sure it's not malware related. All drivers up to date, so are Windows updates. Already tried chkdsk, didn't find anything. Running sfc /scannow right now as well as SeaTools for Windows (which looks like it's going to take overnight). Any other suggestions while I wait?

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

A lot of Win 8 laptops suffer from this unfortunately. Try this and see if it helps you:

1. Go to Control Panel> All control panel items > System
2. Click on Advanced system settings
3. Under performance, click on settings
4. Go to Advanced tab
5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change
6. UN-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box
7. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed)
8. Click on Custom size radio button
9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB
10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB
11. Click on Set
12. Click on OK thrice
13. Restart your system

Full article found here

Solution

Ricardo Bejeraste

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
(skip the big text if you want the solution quickly lol)

Ok. This is weird.
My problem started because, after sending my Lenovo notebook to repair (on warranty) it came back unrepaired, and with 2 extra HD problems. Then I realised that the USB mouse I've been using for the past 10 months wasn't moving anymore. Everything else worked.
I suspected it was software problem and tried everything, until I end up reinstalling windows and setting back to factory configs.
This installed McAffe on my computer - to me a worse fate than have a virus.
I noticed my disk usage always between 98 and 100%, so I opened task manager. There I realised I still had some McAffe processes running. Even though I had it uninstalled and rebooted my computer.
When I tried again to make my mouse work, I got that "device configuration" or something like that. At first I thought this was the "windows module installer worker", since it was this the apparent cause for my 100% disk usage, and the device configuration had froze for about 10 minutes (even though it was still responding). I cancelled the attempt to configure my mouse (the disk usage was a bigger problem), and even rebooted my computer with "shift". I would still have the god damn 100%. So I typed services.msc on windows+r to see if I could figure something out. What have I found? Not one, but NINE McAffe services, all of them on automatic, most of the still running and some I couldn't even stop or change to "manual". But I managed to disable one called "McAfee Pltaform Services" and suddenly my disk usage went down to 5%, spiking only now or then because of Google Drive (but never over 50%).

Long story short: try to disable McAfee Plataform Services. It worked for me (I'm telling you! McAffe is way way worse than have a virus or trojan on your computer!).
I hope this was helpful to someone else!

Now I'll go back to my struggle to figure out how I make my mouse move again (sometimes I'm able to move it for like 1 or 2 seconds).

TRENDING THREADS