Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for an Nvidia £100 graphics card to match the AMD Athlon X4 740

Tags:
  • £100
  • Nvidia
  • AMD
  • Athlon X4 740
  • Graphics
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 7, 2014 4:12:17 AM

Hello there, this is my first thread on this forums so please point out anything I did wrong so I can improve on it in the future.

I am looking for a Nvidia Graphics card to be able to play recent games like Hawken and Planetside 2 on 1080p in at least mid settings and get about 30-60fps, I have been looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1 GB Superclocked http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-01gp427... it fits into my budget But I have I am not sure if it will do it's best with my CPU which is an AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz, yeah I know I could have gotten a 750 and overclocked but I want this build to last longer and cost me less. These are my relevant specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 (Underclocked by the mobo to 1333)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM (Got it used for free)
Video Card: GT 520 2 GB (No idea about the rest, it runs most games at lowest 720p quite well XD)
Case: A very... very old case I got for free and it has no branding.
Power Supply: Tagan 900W (Probably less than that, lets just pretend it's not lying...)

So yeah, thanks for reading my question and I hope you have a nice day :) 

More about : nvidia 100 graphics card match amd athlon 740

Best solution

a c 106 Î Nvidia
a c 151 À AMD
a c 338 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 4:17:50 AM

Great card, great price, best option;
R7 260X 2GB GDDR5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Express-260X-Graphics-...

Better then the GTX 750/Ti when it comes to performance, but not power consumption. The GTX 750/Ti's are the best when it comes to efficiency, if power is an issue, The GTX 750/Ti may be the best option, if not the R7 260X.
Share
Related resources
May 7, 2014 4:20:10 AM

Let me try to rephrase, I wanted to be sure that buying a GTX 750 (or TI, not much difference) would be appropriate for my CPU the AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 78 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 4:20:14 AM

unknownofprob said:
Great card, great price, best option;
R7 260X 2GB GDDR5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Express-260X-Graphics-...

Better then the GTX 750/Ti when it comes to performance, but not power consumption. The GTX 750/Ti's are the best when it comes to efficiency, if power is an issue, The GTX 750/Ti may be the best option, if not the R7 260X.


How is it better in performance? The 750 Ti beats it in the benchmarks i have seen.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review...
m
0
l
May 7, 2014 4:20:34 AM

basdxz said:
Hello there, this is my first thread on this forums so please point out anything I did wrong so I can improve on it in the future.

I am looking for a Nvidia Graphics card to be able to play recent games like Hawken and Planetside 2 on 1080p in at least mid settings and get about 30-60fps, I have been looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 750 1 GB Superclocked http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-01gp427... it fits into my budget But I have I am not sure if it will do it's best with my CPU which is an AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz, yeah I know I could have gotten a 750 and overclocked but I want this build to last longer and cost me less. These are my relevant specs:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 740 3.2GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 (Underclocked by the mobo to 1333)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM (Got it used for free)
Video Card: GT 520 2 GB (No idea about the rest, it runs most games at lowest 720p quite well XD)
Case: A very... very old case I got for free and it has no branding.
Power Supply: Tagan 900W (Probably less than that, lets just pretend it's not lying...)

So yeah, thanks for reading my question and I hope you have a nice day :) 


For around 100, thats the best you will be able to do

http://cdn4.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/GeF...

If you can save up some money a 660/ti would be a nice choice.

Older AMD cards are aslo cheaper, like this 7850
http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-Radeon-Edition-Graphics-GDD...
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 78 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 4:22:18 AM

Theres also the 650 Ti boost available for the same price, beats the 750 ti and 260x in some benchmarks. Less power efficient though.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-evga-gtx-650-ti-boos...(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1072mhz-cores-768-factor


Any of these will be fine with your CPU
m
0
l
a c 106 Î Nvidia
a c 151 À AMD
a c 338 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 4:24:11 AM

RobCrezz said:
unknownofprob said:
Great card, great price, best option;
R7 260X 2GB GDDR5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Express-260X-Graphics-...

Better then the GTX 750/Ti when it comes to performance, but not power consumption. The GTX 750/Ti's are the best when it comes to efficiency, if power is an issue, The GTX 750/Ti may be the best option, if not the R7 260X.


How is it better in performance? The 750 Ti beats it in the benchmarks i have seen.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review...


benchmarks...that's not always correct and accurate. Modern games are using AMD mantle engines making them the better card.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 78 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 4:25:53 AM

unknownofprob said:
RobCrezz said:
unknownofprob said:
Great card, great price, best option;
R7 260X 2GB GDDR5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Express-260X-Graphics-...

Better then the GTX 750/Ti when it comes to performance, but not power consumption. The GTX 750/Ti's are the best when it comes to efficiency, if power is an issue, The GTX 750/Ti may be the best option, if not the R7 260X.


How is it better in performance? The 750 Ti beats it in the benchmarks i have seen.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review...


benchmarks...that's not always correct and accurate. Modern games are using AMD mantle engines making them the better card.



But benchmarks are how we measure performance...

Mantle is on like 2 games? BF4 and Thief 2? Plus Nvidia released new drivers that tend to beat mantle when using DX 11 anyway...


m
0
l
a c 106 Î Nvidia
a c 151 À AMD
a c 338 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 4:27:24 AM

it's more then two, there being Incorporated into most next-gen games.
m
0
l
May 7, 2014 4:28:23 AM

Thank you for helping me fix this problem so quickly, this should be an IRC chat not a forum... Anyways I think I will go with the 750 Ti 2 GB since it appears to be what I need as my GPU. On a final note, what performance should I expect from this setup?
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a c 78 U Graphics card
May 7, 2014 5:17:04 AM

Have a look at the link I posted of the 750 ti review, you can see the performance it will give you. Good luck.
m
0
l
!