i5 4670 vs i5 4670k : in terms of performance ?

Fraxure13

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I am really curious, I am not gonna OC so, I am looking at going for a 4670, or I could go 4570.

I know 4670k can overclock, and 4670 cannot, but what about performance ?

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Even if you are not planning to overclock, go with the K version. Then in a few years when you find that it's not quite cutting it anymore you can overclock it to get a lot more performance for only a small investment now. And overclocking the last 3 generations of intel CPUs is super super easy.

Vitric9

Distinguished
By going with the non K i5 4670 The option to Overclock is not available so you need not get an expensive Z8Z chipset Motherboard. With that you can get a cheaper but still good quality MB. Some like the GIGABYTE GA-H87M-D3H which is about $99 to $109 as opposed to spending over $200 on a Motherboard that will allow you to OC the i5 4670K to a decent OCd frequency..over 4.4GHz. Other than that they are virtually identical in performance.

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Also, from what I have been told on here is that the H series mobos (H87) can OC the base of the cpu...
I was looking at the i7s and asking about the k and non k. I have an H87 and was told this about the base OC on H87s.
Save the $$$ and get the non K.

Optimus_Toaster

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Overclocking the Base line clock is a terrible idea as it messes up PCIe and memory timings. As for the cost of a Z87 motherboard for overclocking, any will do. With Haswell the speed you can get is dependent on the silicon lottery a helluva lot more than the board you are OC'ing on. So a basic Z87 board will overclock to the same speed or damn close to a £200+ board.

I still maintain that a £30 investment now is very worth a possible doubling of the life time of your Mobo and CPU.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have an unlocked CPU and z mobo. I'm currently OC to 4.3, and yes, I can tell the difference from stock speeds.

The Buss speeds are a central speed that is used by the CPU and your RAM. Normally for an Intel it'll be 100.0 If you raise that, not only will your CPU get OC, but your RAM will too. It also affects all communications between various components that use the FSB. AMD has an easier time with FSB OC, but for Intel CPUs this can cause a multitude of problems, the least of which is CPU instability.

Leave the FSB at 100

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Good to know. I was relaying what I had been told on this site previously. I will not be doing that OC for sure now.
£30 now would save you in the long run.