Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

new pc old hard drive reformat from xp to win 7 pro

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
May 7, 2014 4:54:29 PM

Building a new pc, keeping old hd with xp on it, also keeping old dvd-rom, want to install win 7 pro. once built, whats the procedure to install win 7? Just boot-up, put win 7 disk in dvd-rom, hit the reboot button, then delete partiton where xp is, repartition/reformat hd and install win 7?
a c 571 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2014 5:05:34 PM

Yes.
Select each partition, delete. Repeat
You will be left with one large unallocated space.
Let Windows use this. It will create what it needs.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2014 5:07:16 PM

well heres the thing the old drive may not work well on a new board as a primary boot drive its best to just get a new drive with up to date firmware and its more to date with the new board better safe than sorry on that. then just use that old drive as a storage drive.. but in the end its your call..
m
0
l
Related resources
May 7, 2014 5:34:59 PM

junkeymonkey said:
well heres the thing the old drive may not work well on a new board as a primary boot drive its best to just get a new drive with up to date firmware and its more to date with the new board better safe than sorry on that. then just use that old drive as a storage drive.. but in the end its your call..


The old drive is a seagate 1tb serial ata hd, 7200/32mb/sata-3gbs. the mobo is asus p8z77-v lk which has 4-sata-3gbs and 2-sata-6gbs.I was planning on using the 3gbs mode. That should work? it still a good hd and i am not a gamer, although my new cpu is the intel 3rd gen i5-3570k. So what do you think? Can I still go with old hd?
m
0
l
a c 571 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2014 5:36:49 PM

Yes, it should work.
m
0
l
May 7, 2014 5:50:41 PM

USAFRet said:
Yes.
Select each partition, delete. Repeat
You will be left with one large unallocated space.
Let Windows use this. It will create what it needs.


It won't screw up new system booting-up with xp? The current system was my first build, and now xp support ended thought might as well build a new one, but I'm real fuzzy as to what might happen booting-up and installing new os with new mobo asus p8z77-v lk. By the way I got out of the USAF 40 years ago.
m
0
l
a c 571 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2014 5:58:27 PM

Round said:
USAFRet said:
Yes.
Select each partition, delete. Repeat
You will be left with one large unallocated space.
Let Windows use this. It will create what it needs.


It won't screw up new system booting-up with xp? The current system was my first build, and now xp support ended thought might as well build a new one, but I'm real fuzzy as to what might happen booting-up and installing new os with new mobo asus p8z77-v lk. By the way I got out of the USAF 40 years ago.


You don't boot with XP...you boot from the Win 7 install DVD. What is on the hard drive is irrelevant and gets blown away.

And thank you for your service. I retired (from the AF) almost 20 yrs ago.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2014 6:08:17 PM

ya you can but when you said xp it seemed old and then is it going to keep holding up? I do it to try to save but in the end I wished I just got a new drive. so you go spend 60-120$ for peace of mind or go with your fingers crossed [not saying you get unlucky and your new drive fails] but its just my thought on this and like I said it all up to you in the end.. if you fell its all good to go then just go with it. it may run another ten years....

heres how it went with me way back when the amd 590sli boards came out I got one and 2 wd 160gb drives all was good then that board went down and I got a new am3+ board I reused the drive and had issues a lot with it. finely got a new drive and it worked fine so here about 4 months ago I found a cheap asrock board that took the chip and memory I pulled out of the 590sli board that was boxed up and got it in got the chip and memory in it and just grabed the that old hard drive that did not work with the am3+ put in and loaded the same copy of window [retail] that was used in the pryor 2 builds it booted right up and runs fine so heres the way I see this the old drive worked with the boards from the same time frame eaven though the asrock was ''new'' but it seemed not to work well at all with the latest new AM3+ build ... so you see what I'm saying here it worked fine on the boards that took the old parts from its time but not with the new up to date one. wow did I ramble on with this..
m
0
l
May 7, 2014 6:59:35 PM

USAFRet said:
Round said:
USAFRet said:
Yes.
Select each partition, delete. Repeat
You will be left with one large unallocated space.
Let Windows use this. It will create what it needs.


It won't screw up new system booting-up with xp? The current system was my first build, and now xp support ended thought might as well build a new one, but I'm real fuzzy as to what might happen booting-up and installing new os with new mobo asus p8z77-v lk. By the way I got out of the USAF 40 years ago.


You don't boot with XP...you boot from the Win 7 install DVD. What is on the hard drive is irrelevant and gets blown away.

And thank you for your service. I retired (from the AF) almost 20 yrs ago.


I'm still not clear on you don't boot with xp, if I power up the new build with old drive, which has xp on it, it seems that I will have to be real quick to get the dvd-rom door to open, place new os disk in drive and hit reboot button, before xp would be up and running, unless and I'll check this out in a while, if dvd-rom door opens powered off then power-up with new os disk in it. Thank you for you assistance, some times I'm real dense(lol). And I thank you for your service as well.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 571 $ Windows 7
May 7, 2014 7:02:55 PM

Round said:
USAFRet said:
Round said:
USAFRet said:
Yes.
Select each partition, delete. Repeat
You will be left with one large unallocated space.
Let Windows use this. It will create what it needs.


It won't screw up new system booting-up with xp? The current system was my first build, and now xp support ended thought might as well build a new one, but I'm real fuzzy as to what might happen booting-up and installing new os with new mobo asus p8z77-v lk. By the way I got out of the USAF 40 years ago.


You don't boot with XP...you boot from the Win 7 install DVD. What is on the hard drive is irrelevant and gets blown away.

And thank you for your service. I retired (from the AF) almost 20 yrs ago.


I'm still not clear on you don't boot with xp, if I power up the new build with old drive, which has xp on it, it seems that I will have to be real quick to get the dvd-rom door to open, place new os disk in drive and hit reboot button, before xp would be up and running, unless and I'll check this out in a while, if dvd-rom door opens powered off then power-up with new os disk in it. Thank you for you assistance, some times I'm real dense(lol). And I thank you for your service as well.


Noooo.

You have the install DVD in the drive first.
Power up
Go into the BIOS, and select the DVD drive as what to boot from
After that, it is a normal Windows install.
Share
May 7, 2014 7:35:43 PM

USAFRet said:
Round said:
USAFRet said:
Round said:
USAFRet said:
Yes.
Select each partition, delete. Repeat
You will be left with one large unallocated space.
Let Windows use this. It will create what it needs.


It won't screw up new system booting-up with xp? The current system was my first build, and now xp support ended thought might as well build a new one, but I'm real fuzzy as to what might happen booting-up and installing new os with new mobo asus p8z77-v lk. By the way I got out of the USAF 40 years ago.


You don't boot with XP...you boot from the Win 7 install DVD. What is on the hard drive is irrelevant and gets blown away.

And thank you for your service. I retired (from the AF) almost 20 yrs ago.


I'm still not clear on you don't boot with xp, if I power up the new build with old drive, which has xp on it, it seems that I will have to be real quick to get the dvd-rom door to open, place new os disk in drive and hit reboot button, before xp would be up and running, unless and I'll check this out in a while, if dvd-rom door opens powered off then power-up with new os disk in it. Thank you for you assistance, some times I'm real dense(lol). And I thank you for your service as well.


Noooo.

You have the install DVD in the drive first.
Power up
Go into the BIOS, and select the DVD drive as what to boot from
After that, it is a normal Windows install.


Thanks for your help, the fog between my ears has cleared.
m
0
l
!