GT 640 GDDR5 for my PSU?

yomikumar

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
I have a 450W PSU, and the box and sticker show that it has 19A on the 12v rail. What is the minimum requirement for the GT 640 GDDR5, and will I be able to run it? I had shortlisted this card along with the GTX 650 (Non-Ti) due to various reasons. First, my PC is like 7 years old, and I'm not gonna build another one until next year, that is after I finish college. Second, here in India the prices are wild. The GTX 650 Ti is like $200+. So only these two cards, and I'm given to understand that there isn't a whole lot of difference in performance with these two.

Solution
I can't find the required amperage for the GT 640, but, considering that it only requires a 300W PSU I'm positive your PSU will be able to power it. I think it only draws power from the motherboard and doesn't require additional power, so you should definitely be fine.

Also, those prices are insane. India has a pretty large tech industry so that is surprising to me.

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
I can't find the required amperage for the GT 640, but, considering that it only requires a 300W PSU I'm positive your PSU will be able to power it. I think it only draws power from the motherboard and doesn't require additional power, so you should definitely be fine.

Also, those prices are insane. India has a pretty large tech industry so that is surprising to me.

Solution

yomikumar

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah, I think that has to do with crazy import duties and the Rupee to dollar exchange rate. It's crazy.

I have checked, and the 640 doesn't require power from the 6 pin connector. Only the mobo.

Thanks!