7970 FPS Issues

Hi all,

This is a problem where I have tried all that I know and it hasn't worked, so I am coming to you all.

Basically, everything was fine and when playing bf4, I was getting about 125 fps with mantle on my 7970.
Suddenly, without changing anything, it has dropped to about 40. Even on ultra, this is terrible for a 7970 and I know theres something wrong.

I even tried updating m/b bios to version 2301 and it hasn't helped. I am using 14.4 WHQL drivers btw. Also, another thing I noticed was that my DRAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 2x4gb) is only appearing on system as 600mhz. I checked all bios settings for dram and I even tried DOCP.
Is this linked to the fps problem?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

well, if you cant make them ran at 1600mz even on other mobo then RMA them

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Are you sure the RAM didn't say 800mhz? That would be correct, because RAM is dual-channel. 800mhz x 2 = 1600mhz.

What happens if you turn the settings down to lowest possible, does it still get the same fps, or does it increase significantly?

One thing I forgot to add..... in bf4, both cpu and gpu use is max 35 or 40.

It use to say 1600mhz before. I am pretty sure.
If I turn settings down, fps is still the same.. Even if I set to auto, it is same.

thanks

Kekoh

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Have you overclocked the GPU? Generally if you overclock it to far, it will back the clock speed down and lock it to around 500mhz. I assume you would have noticed this though so it's not likely.

Another possibility would be a failing PSU, but you have a CX600, so once again that is unlikely (but possible).

You could try going back to 14.3 or 14.2 drivers, or even uninstalling then reinstalling 14.4 and resetting defaults in CCC. Most of the time reinstalling drivers doesn't help, but sometimes it does and it's worth a shot.

Since you have flashed to a newer bios, make sure you have loaded optimized defaults and ram is set at 1600 with the correct timings( and you must reapply any o/c setting that have been lost after the bios flash) also make sure in windows through cpu-z you have a correct reading on cpu speed and ram(800mhz).furthermore, use this AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and reinstall drivers and make sure you havent chosen any preset game profile. fx6300 at stock speed isnt that strong and with antialiasing can cripple performance!

All this is ok, thanks, but it was happening even before the bios update; the update hasn't affected it.

No GPU is at stock speed. I also doubt PSU problem. I have already tried a fresh install of 14.4, the only thing I havent tried is going back to 14.3. Will have a go at that and let you know.

is this performance drop present on other games too? if not then there is game issue. have you run any patches-updates lately?also dont expect single player performance on multiplayer as it may vary as it is cpu dependant! (also make sure your cpu speed isnt fluctuating while under load, since overclocked!)

No this is affecting all games, not just bf4. And my CPU is running at stock clock - 3.5Ghz

even on stock settings ensure that you dont have any voltage drop which leads on sudden speed drop.make sure speed is always steady at 3,5ghz,also make through bios voltages on the rails (12v , 3.3v, 5v) are within acceptable range.if all these are ok, then its more lakely an software issue.though fx6300 will bottleneck at stock speed with hd7970. overclocking it will provide way better results!

Voltages are all ok. I understand the bottleneck thing but the problem is, why is it suddenly so bad, everything was perfectly fine before. Could a m/b CMOS clear help?

clearing c_mos wont do any harm, try it if you like.

Guys, I THINK, I have solved it..... just from what I'm seeing so far!!!

Just since I am having ok framerates again, I think I have got the fix, so if anyone else is experiencing similar issues try this.. .think it worked for me:

1) UNINSTALL ASUS AI SUITE....that piece of junk was causing all the problem for me ...... it was trying to downclock my cpu+gpu whereas catalyst and bios were trying to overclock, hence they were conflicting and running in background, drawing cpu usage. I believe this created a bottleneck too. As soon as I uninstalled, there was a HUGE improvement.... Thought I am still unsure why it is only affecting me now ?! ( I had AI suite ever since I built and it was fine until now) 0_o

2) My RAM is definitely faulty... I have crossed checked with another system and mine is only reading as 1333mhz max.... Going to RMA it with corsair...

Don't think there's anything wrong with gpu or motherboard, so those will stay. :)

Thanks for everyones help anyway, looks like I figured it out myself!

so, it is software problem not hardware.also you ram isnt faulty. if they are rated at higher speed get into bio and set the specs yourself. also run http://www.memtest.org/ , if you will! if your ram was faulty you would have more likely bsod or worst case not even a post!

Corsair have already told me to do memtest. They were only appearing as 320mhz and the latency as only 1-3-3-3.... why is that then?

1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V try setting this values manually before you rma your ram kit. it is pretty common spec ram and should work on any ddr3 mobo. 1333mhz is the SPD speed or Serial Presence Device (Default) as seen on the official Corsair site Vengeance® — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (check tech specs)

I have tried setting manually, but the settings don't stay, after reboot it returns to what it was.

well thats odd, it should work. i suggest this. try increasing voltage to 1,52V - 1,55V and retry . or increase timings to 10-10-10-27 .also try 2-4 slots instead of 1-3. if they still fail they surely have an issue. still there is a chance of mobo issue. i would try them on another pc to ensure it if i could!

Nope, doesnt stay. Also, I have already tried checking with another system and I have also tried using another set of ram on mine.

well, if you cant make them ran at 1600mz even on other mobo then RMA them

Solution