i7 960 turbo's to 1.5ghz under load?

sbpenguin

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey guys, my friend's been having a weird issue lately which I've been trying to fix for him. He has a i7 960 with a stock cooler and a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 (according to 3dmark, you see it if you scroll down) which is not throttling due to heat or lack of power (he has a HX750). We fired up Intel burn test and saw that in CPU-Z his CPU would not exceed 1500mhz even though he wasn't throttling due to heat. We also did a 3dmark test and his physics score is an abyssal 3883. In comparison my 3770k at stock clocks gets around 11k. Also, we reinstalled Windows and tried to play around in his bios to see if he changed anything, I couldn't find anything myself (though Its likely I could have overlooked the problem.)

Any clues as to what could be happening?
Thanks in advance!

sbpenguin

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Already instructed my friend to reset the BIOS to defaults. We'll try again though and check for a BIOS update. Also, Eximo what exactly are the power-saving and throttling states in the BIOS, can you list them for me if you don't mind?
Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU Ratio setting to stock frequency 3.2Ghz (24x)
Disable C1E and TM (Turbo Mode)
Disable SpeedStep
Disable C-State

If that doesn't get it running at full speed all the time, then the CPU might have something wrong with it.

I used to run my i7-950 at 1.162 volts at 3.85Ghz round the clock, so this might be a good opportunity to overclock it.