i5 4440 vs i5 4670k which is more worth it??

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
i currently have the i5 4440 people say that i can get better gaming performance with the i5 4670k is it really worth the upgrade? for the long run is it a better choice?

There is basically no point on upgrading without replacing the motherboard, as the i5-4670k's only big advantage would be overclocking and you can only do that with an z87 motherboard. What do you use your system for? Gaming? What is your GPU? Do you have an SSD?
Performance usually involves a lot, and what you do with your system is really important.

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

so not worth it?

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

i have a very bipolar system lol
i got
i5 4440
gtx 780
no ssd
1TB HDD
8GB ram

unlocked cpu's are great, i still use my 2500k, bought way back in 2011 i think. i kept it because i overclocked and don't feel the need to get a new one.

for your situation, i would suggest that you wait for your next upgrade (including mobo) then buy a "k". but if that will take years, and you have a board that can oc, get a "k"

Well, you have a GREAT gpu there, and your CPU can drive it really well. There shouldn't be any problem/bottleneck, so you would see no real improvement in gaming.
And if you want to improve all-aroun performance (except gaming), you should get an SSD.
So, basically, no, the i5-4670k would give you no real improvement, specially with your build.

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

just googled it i never heard of it before, seems solid would it make a difference in gaming?

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

naa im satisfied with its performance, basically ur talking about loading times? if thats it no screw it

I agree with that, in case you want to upgrade the CPU that one is the best choice, it is a very good one.

Still, I don't think you will notice a real difference in normal games, less than 5 fps probably.
You MIGHT see a bigger improvement in CPU intensive games, or demanding multiplayer games with many players.

EDIT: Yeah, I think exactly like you, I don't see any real point on having an SSD (really expensive...). I don't have one, I only recommended it because most people are really happy with that kind of improvement (loading times, program opening times, windows boot)

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

what are the cpu intensive games? i heard people say that crysis 3 is a cpu demanding game, on max settings im getting 40-53 fps would that be coz of the cpu?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
ssds are awesome and once you use one, you'll never want to go back to a regular hard drive again. The 1230v3 would be a pretty big upgrade since it's +400mhz and adds hyperthreading over the 4440. Still, you wouldn't notice a difference a lot of the time. The 4440 is a good cpu.

The 780 can run Crysis 3 at max settings at about 30-45 fps, or 45-55, depending on the benchmark, so you wouldn't notice a difference, as you rCPU isn't holding you back.
The xeon would be a big upgrade only in numbers. Most of the times, it wouldn't even be noticeable (unless you do heavy calculations, terabytes of rar compression, etc), but in some very rare cases you might see a 5-10 fps improvement.

And I used an SSD, and didn't really find it that atractive :/ A regular 7200rpm hard disk is enough for me, and I'd prefer to use the SSD money on better graphics...

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

so i just stick to the i5 that i have right now..
what if on the long run, im not planning to keep on upgrade the system frequently what do u suggest i do?
plus how long would my gtx 780 last me running up games at 1080p medium not high settings?

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

thats exactly what i did

The upgrade is NOT worth your time or money. The i5-4670K is better processor, but really it is not worth your time and especially your money. If you have money to burn, sure, but it is not

Wait for Broadwell, and get the the i5-5xxxK or even an i7 then. Also, consider the Xeon parts (Like CTurbo said), those give you closer to i7 level performance at a more attainable price.

An SSD is really awesome, and prices continued to drop (you can get quality 240GB ones for just over $100 now), but I really don't think that will help games much, if at all. Still, it is an awesome upgrade for boot times and opening programs.

Hope I could help!

Hussein Bazzi

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

are the broadwell cpus compatible with my current motherboard?

The 780 should last for 2-3 years, maybe even 4 if you're lucky, but there's no way to tell. In the long run, the best thing would be to keep your cpu for as long as you keep this system, or until you notice you're really lagging behind, but at least 2 years more you'll have no problem...
When you need to upgrade your CPU, you will probably need to upgrade the whole system anyways.

Even so, it's better to let the 4440 live it's life rather than kill it now to get a 4670k, in my opinion :D