270 oc closed thread

Solution
R9 270 is powerful mid level gaming graphics card. To say that Q900 would bottleneck it. Yes, it would but definitely less than what your current CPU would. you will get decent FPS on Q900.

While buying graphics card, you better should have considered your whole system and should have bought graphics card accordingly. Now you can build your system according to the R9 270. :)

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

atleast get a i3 or i5. You will still be bottleneck with that one.

leakylawson

Reputable
May 9, 2014

See i would love to but as i said I'm on a tight budget, and getting an i3 or i5 would mean i would need a whole new mobo and OS as it is a different socket?

How bad would the bottleneck be? what would bottleneck it the most? the CPU or old mobo?

Your mobo has a support for maximum of 4GB RAM in DDR3 (Max 2 DIMMs). So 8GB DDR3 is out of question. You are left with DDR2 option in which case your mobo supports only 8GB max with 4 DIMMs.

Your mobo supports FSB 1600/1333/1066/800. Do check the CPU FSB before buying.

CPU in question is Core 2 Quad Q900. It has FSB of 1333 so you are covered here. As it is 45nm Lithography so you would have to update mobo BIOS before using this CPU.

Being a quad-core processor, it will give you better performance than your current CPU.

If you are on strict budget then consider buying this CPU otherwise I would strongly suggest you to buy new system as soon as possible.

Regards,

leakylawson

Reputable
May 9, 2014

Thankyou for the great response!

So would this Q9400 bottleneck my GPU, how would it all perform as i have no clue and you seem the expert?

Also what would you recommend doing upgrading the ram to 4GB DDR3?

And one final question, does my motherboard bottleneck as it is old, or do motherboards not bottleneck?
Thanks again.

R9 270 is powerful mid level gaming graphics card. To say that Q900 would bottleneck it. Yes, it would but definitely less than what your current CPU would. you will get decent FPS on Q900.

While buying graphics card, you better should have considered your whole system and should have bought graphics card accordingly. Now you can build your system according to the R9 270. :)

Solution