Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

£400ish To spend on a new GPU Sound advice needed please.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 10, 2014 1:39:19 PM

Hey everyone,

Would just love some final feedback before a spend quite a bit on a new GPU!

I'm looking to buy the best graphics card I can buy at the moment for around £400 from UK seller. I like the look of this:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

What are your thoughts and if I should go for something else.

Prefer to stay away from AMD drivers have always been terrible in my experience.

many thanks in advance,


Aaron
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 1:50:13 PM

Asus, Gigabyte, MSI are all pretty much comparable quality wise, and the 780 is a great card. Just be sure to match it with appropriate psu
m
0
l
Related resources
May 10, 2014 1:50:25 PM

I know it's more powerful and more bang for buck, but after having a bad experience with AMD drivers before I just really want to avoid them. I've had only good experiences with Nvidia drivers xD. I'm really thinking of going for the 290 but just don't want to face driver problems or game comparability issues as they seem to be a lot more compatible with nvidia cards.
m
0
l
May 10, 2014 1:51:45 PM

Just saw that comparison... blows the 780 out of the water lol
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 1:53:22 PM

Well if you can increase you budget you can get a 780 Ti for around £500 which would be the best card to go for, however at £400 I think the 780 would be best. I agree about the drivers, had so many issues with AMD.
m
0
l
May 10, 2014 1:54:18 PM

Also just read the 780 can be overclocked quite a bit wheras the 290 is already running rather hot, any truth in that? :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 1:55:09 PM

The reference 290 cards hit 95c.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 1:55:39 PM

Yes you can and than the performance would be pretty much the same.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 1:57:01 PM

hearmenow said:
Also just read the 780 can be overclocked quite a bit wheras the 290 is already running rather hot, any truth in that? :) 
On the reference cooler it runs at 95 degrees or so, for the Non reference cooler it is supposed to get around 75ish degrees or so.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 1:58:00 PM

trawetSluaP said:
Well if you can increase you budget you can get a 780 Ti for around £500 which would be the best card to go for, however at £400 I think the 780 would be best. I agree about the drivers, had so many issues with AMD.
If I install the new drivers for my secondary PC with a HD 7750 it will not even boot, lol.

m
0
l
May 10, 2014 2:04:05 PM

Yeah, AMD drivers make me cry. I heard they are better now and you can update automatically through steam. Still seems like hassle though.

Would you guys recommend this over anything then if I push my budget out a bit then.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-gigabyte-gtx-780ti-w...(x16)-7000mhz-gddr5-gpu-1020mhz-boost-1085mhz-cores-2880?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=COvRq96for4CFc6WtAoddx8ADg

always been a fan of gigabyte currently have a 560ti that's been amazing.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 2:11:31 PM

I'd recommend EVGA over Gigabyte, but I've had issues with multiple Gigabyte cards in the past.
m
0
l
May 10, 2014 2:14:04 PM

Yeah, could get the EVGA one it's only another £20, £120 over budget though. Just dont want the card to stumble in price after I buy it. A lot of money to spend on one component!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 3:05:46 PM

Isn't clocked as high, and I haven't really heard much about Zotac. You'd have to look them up. EVGA is my number one recommendation, and they have amazing customer service too. If you order from Scan you'll also get a free copy of Watch_Dogs via a code that you could try to sell which would help recoup some your budget.
m
0
l
May 10, 2014 3:49:06 PM

Yeah, i might go for the EVGA one then, could pick up a couple of other bits. Seems scan have quite a good finance with that buy now pay 9 months later seems like Zero interest and just a £20 fee.
m
0
l
May 10, 2014 4:30:53 PM

tyvm for your help guys, going to finalise it I think.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 10, 2014 4:44:24 PM

The cheaper one EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX is higher clocked and has a better cooler actually. I would go for it. Not sure why is the worse model more expensive.
m
0
l
May 10, 2014 6:04:00 PM

Dunno how I did that!

Thanks for your awesome feedback guys, really greatful, glad this forum is around helped me so much in finalising my purchases and with newb questions.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2014 12:04:11 AM

Yeah the ACX cooler versions are cheaper than the reference models for some reason!
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
May 11, 2014 2:54:47 AM

ER, this is a long thread and I'm just butting in but when did anyone ask Hearmenow to list his/her full specs?
It's all fair and good to drop over five hundred quid on a card but it'll be a poor purchase if he/she is using a single 1080 monitor or an old base system.
Also bear in mind, these cards can be very large, it's important to check it'll fit the case!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2014 7:48:19 AM

coozie7 said:
ER, this is a long thread and I'm just butting in but when did anyone ask Hearmenow to list his/her full specs?
It's all fair and good to drop over five hundred quid on a card but it'll be a poor purchase if he/she is using a single 1080 monitor or an old base system.
Also bear in mind, these cards can be very large, it's important to check it'll fit the case!
I guess that would be a good idea, but they did ask what a good GPU upgrade is for 400 Euros.

m
0
l
May 11, 2014 11:55:41 AM

Thanks guys, well my current build is as follows. Just recieved my new 760t Case, rather huge so need something pretty inside.

I'm also going to purchase a new PSU, as at the moment, although I have a good PSU it's not modular and it's just horrible having cables all over the place.

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
BluRayDrive - Samsung SH-B123L 12x BD-ROM DVD±RW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
PSU - Corsair 950W TX Series PSU - 78A 12V Rail
Graphics Card - MSI GTX 560Ti TWIN FROZR II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/255699
CASE - Corsair Graphite 760T
RAM - x2 - 8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte
CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail
SSD - Seagate 600 Series 480GB 2.5inch SATA-III SSD
Slave Drive – 1TB Samsung


------

http://www.ebuyer.com/620516-evga-gtx-780-ti-sc-acx-3gb...

http://www.ebuyer.com/462121-corsair-hydro-series-h110-...

http://www.ebuyer.com/584217-corsair-cs750m-modular-750...

http://www.ebuyer.com/579579-corsair-af120-led-red-quie...

This is my current shopping basket. £722... Setting me back a bit, but guess I'll just have to take the hit and try build a second system for my brother to have xD


m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
May 11, 2014 1:10:23 PM

Ah!
Much better!
For one 1080 60Hz monitor the GTX780Ti is large calibre overkill, unless you're going to upgrade to something more worthy of such pixel pushing prowess, I'd drop back to either the GTX780 or R9 290, which are a good deal cheaper.
m
0
l
May 11, 2014 1:51:41 PM

So, if you had say £800 to spend at the moment. Then in the near future say £200-300 a month for a few months what would you splash out on. I think I'd like the 780ti as it's so much more powerful it seems and going to future proof longer and just spend some more money to build around that card, just not sure what yet xD
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
May 12, 2014 11:06:07 AM

For now, why not try using the displays you have in different configurations? Even if the older ones are 1680x1050 res you'll get a good feel for the layout and can make a better informed decision on what works for you and your uses of the system.
I suggest you start another thread on the display question, though...single, dual or triple screens? 60, 120 or 144Hz refresh rate? want 3D? What about size? a pair of 27" displays sounds great but if you're sitting too close they're wasted. And so on. ;) 

Yes, the GTX 780Ti is an monster card but then again if you're playing the 'long game' it's a good choice, it'll decimate anything out there right now and has the muscle to drive larger/more screens if you decide that's what you want later on, or just last for a long time on a single screen.

On the actual expenditure, your current 4 item shopping list is as much as I'd advise you spend for now until you make a decision on the display/s the Corsair liquid cooler should enable a good OC of the current CPU putting it very close to a high end Haswell i5 and I'll not recommend switching to the newer platform, it's just too much cash for too little gain. Actually' I'd not change the PSU just 'coz it looks untidy, but it IS you system. ;) 

Oh yes, and in reply to your original question: Top card for about £400 would be the R9 290X.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 12, 2014 11:19:00 AM

coozie7 said:
For now, why not try using the displays you have in different configurations? Even if the older ones are 1680x1050 res you'll get a good feel for the layout and can make a better informed decision on what works for you and your uses of the system.
I suggest you start another thread on the display question, though...single, dual or triple screens? 60, 120 or 144Hz refresh rate? want 3D? What about size? a pair of 27" displays sounds great but if you're sitting too close they're wasted. And so on. ;) 

Yes, the GTX 780Ti is an monster card but then again if you're playing the 'long game' it's a good choice, it'll decimate anything out there right now and has the muscle to drive larger/more screens if you decide that's what you want later on, or just last for a long time on a single screen.

On the actual expenditure, your current 4 item shopping list is as much as I'd advise you spend for now until you make a decision on the display/s the Corsair liquid cooler should enable a good OC of the current CPU putting it very close to a high end Haswell i5 and I'll not recommend switching to the newer platform, it's just too much cash for too little gain. Actually' I'd not change the PSU just 'coz it looks untidy, but it IS you system. ;) 

Oh yes, and in reply to your original question: Top card for about £400 would be the R9 290X.
I would only buy a R9 290X with a after market cooler, which would then add on to the price. So in my opinion a GTX 780 is the best for that price, while losing by a little in some games your card doesn't run a ridiculousness temps.

m
0
l
!