I have downgraded from Windows 7 to XP to see if this will correct some stability issues I have been having. It seems to have, not one crash which is good. Now for a different problem. When I initially installed I installed up to SP2, and it worked fine, all the drives were detected and everything was working as intended, except one program that I needed required SP3. So I got SP3, installed it and now out of all my HDDs, one is not recognized in Windows XP itself however it is on the BIOS post.
I have 3 500GB SATA HDDs and 1 1TB SATA HDD. MB is an ASUS M2N-E, 4 GB RAM, and a 2.8 GHz dual core processor.
This is what I have tried:
Switched cables with a working drive, still the 1 TB is not recognized
Looked in BIOS for "AHCI", not found
Gone to Disk Management via Computer Management, not found
cmd > diskpart > list disk, not found
Computer Management > Device Manager > Disk Drives, FOUND (!)
Computer Management > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, not found
The last 2 I have toyed around with, disabling, enabling, uninstalling, reinstalling, updating drivers. With the last one other posts have suggested going to the IDE and they found that "Device type" was on "None", and switching it to "Auto" did the trick. With me they were already on Auto.