Will an OC FX-4100 3.60GHz bottleneck a GTX 770.

Itsyaboi

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Says it all in the title, not completely sure if the model of the GPU matters but I'm set on purchasing the MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR
And I've seen a thread similar to mine where someone is asking if this combination will result in a bottle neck, the answer was yes. but my 4100 is clocked at 3.60 GHz which is higher then an Intel Core i5 4670k which was said to be more then enough for a 770. So I'm very confused. If this combo will result in a bottleneck please recommend a budget CPU that is capable of working with a 770 and something actually worth an upgrade that isn't like I'm upgrading from an iphone 5 to a 5s.

Solution
You can't compare AMD and Intel clock speeds, the architecture is different.
The core i5 4670k is a much faster CPU than the FX-4100. Even the core i3 processors beat the FX-6300 in most gaming bench marks.
Overclocking isn't going to go close to making up the difference.

Different games require more performance from CPU or GPU to achieve a playable frame rate. The GTX 770 will give you consistent frame rates are around 60 FPS at 1920x1080 resolution. In many games the FX-4100 won't be able to do this, so it will be a bottleneck.
You can't compare AMD and Intel clock speeds, the architecture is different.
The core i5 4670k is a much faster CPU than the FX-4100. Even the core i3 processors beat the FX-6300 in most gaming bench marks.
Overclocking isn't going to go close to making up the difference.

Different games require more performance from CPU or GPU to achieve a playable frame rate. The GTX 770 will give you consistent frame rates are around 60 FPS at 1920x1080 resolution. In many games the FX-4100 won't be able to do this, so it will be a bottleneck.

Solution

Itsyaboi

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

I get around 60 fps already at 1920x1080 with the fx 4100 and a saphire 7850 :I Can you reccomend a BUDGET cpu that will work with the GPU I mentioned in my post ? preferably an Intel one because of what you said.

On a 60 Hz monitor, you can only display up to 60 FPS. If you have found that the CPU you have is producing 60 FPS in the games you play, there is no reason to change the CPU. What a faster graphics card will allow you to do is run higher detail settings than you can currently.

If you do run into CPU limitations and want a significant upgrade from your current CPU, the Intel Core i5 4440 or Intel Core i5 4570 are both great value. Moving to an Intel CPU will mean a new motherboard.

Itsyaboi

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014

Thanks alot man I'll probably try to purchase the i5 4570. If you could also answer this question for me that would be great, Im planning to purchase a DVI cable for my 120hz monitor will the 770 + the i5 you recommended hit 80 frames ?

The frame rate you will see depends a lot on the game and on the detail settings you use.
Find a benchmark for the game you are interested in and look at the GTX 770 results.
The Core i5 4570 should allow whatever frame rate the GTX 770 can manage on anything but the lowest detail settings.

As for your cable, many "dual-link" DVI cables won't actually support the bandwidth required for 120 Hz. Read the product description carefully.

Just to make sure, remember you'll need an 8 or 9 series motherboard to accompany it. (B85, B95, H87, H97, Z87, Z97). I'd recommend going with the 9 series since they will support Broadwell when it releases. Also since you're getting a locked CPU you'd be fine with the B or H series.

EDIT: Just realised this is an old thread. Apologies.