Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

System crash after GTX 780 insatll

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 12, 2014 8:21:36 PM

I just upgraded my PC from a GTX 670 to a GTX 780, and now whenever I launch certain games, the whole computer seems to power off and restart. So far it's worked perfectly fine on BF4, and hasn't had any problems playing that, but when I tried to play Crysis 3 and Planetside 2, it powers off after about 1-2 minutes of playing the game. My temperatures don't seem to be anything too bad in the games, only reaching ~75 in Crysis 3, and the same in PS2, but in BF4 it was hitting 82. I have the latest drivers (I've tried the latest, and the latest beta drivers) and I'm baffled. I have a 630w power supply, which was over the recommended amount.
full specs: GTX 780 16GB ddr3 RAM Asrock z87 extreme 4 4770k 630w PSU 2 7200 RPM drives

I've also tried updating my Bios, and now Crysis 3 works, but it still crashes on GTA IV

(here's the specific power supply I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
a c 214 4 Gaming
a c 139 ) Power supply
a c 79 Î Nvidia
a c 230 U Graphics card
May 12, 2014 8:29:26 PM

I always uninstall all GFX drivers and accessory programs (i.e. PhysX, GeForce Experience) before removing old card. Then I install new card boot and install new drivers fresh.

However, that is not a PSU I would risk a 780 / 4770k to.

Do a web search on "raidmax smoke" and you will get a lot of hits.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a c 404 Î Nvidia
a c 611 U Graphics card
May 12, 2014 8:33:34 PM

22 Amps on each +12V rail is not enough from that power supply. As you've noted, it will work, but whenever you need to push it at all, it's going to crash. Either upgrade your PSU, ~45 Amps minimum on the +12V rail, or try to scale back your power usage (no overclocking).
Share
Related resources
May 12, 2014 8:39:00 PM

17seconds said:
22 Amps on each +12V rail is not enough from that power supply. As you've noted, it will work, but whenever you need to push it at all, it's going to crash. Either upgrade your PSU, ~45 Amps minimum on the +12V rail, or try to scale back your power usage (no overclocking).


Alright, What is a power supply you would recommend?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a c 404 Î Nvidia
a c 611 U Graphics card
May 12, 2014 8:51:35 PM

I stick with Corsair or Seasonic exclusively, but you'll need to let us know your budget. The PSU is the heart of a PC system and you've seen what can happen when you don't provide enough power.

Before all that, did you do a clean install of your drivers like Jack recommended? Just make sure it's not a driver issue first. You can use DDU to do a clean uninstall.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_unin...
m
0
l
May 12, 2014 9:15:21 PM

17seconds said:
I stick with Corsair or Seasonic exclusively, but you'll need to let us know your budget. The PSU is the heart of a PC system and you've seen what can happen when you don't provide enough power.

Before all that, did you do a clean install of your drivers like Jack recommended? Just make sure it's not a driver issue first. You can use DDU to do a clean uninstall.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_unin...


I did not do that. I just put my older graphics card in, would I risk damaging anything if I put the 780 back in and tried wiping everything? (if it crashes again, would I risk damaging the card?)
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b ) Power supply
a c 404 Î Nvidia
a c 611 U Graphics card
May 12, 2014 9:33:52 PM

jackaboonie said:
17seconds said:
I stick with Corsair or Seasonic exclusively, but you'll need to let us know your budget. The PSU is the heart of a PC system and you've seen what can happen when you don't provide enough power.

Before all that, did you do a clean install of your drivers like Jack recommended? Just make sure it's not a driver issue first. You can use DDU to do a clean uninstall.
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_unin...


I did not do that. I just put my older graphics card in, would I risk damaging anything if I put the 780 back in and tried wiping everything? (if it crashes again, would I risk damaging the card?)

Yes, I would give it a shot. You won't damage anything and it may save you some money. Does your PSU have cables that say "PCIe" on them? If so, make sure that you use two power cables that look they are reserved for PCIe or graphics card usage.
m
0
l
!