Solved

HUGE Fps Drops in 25 man raids on WoW...

I know my video card is really good....But in raids i get HUGE fps drops. Im wondering if maybe my ram is the problem? My CPU is Running at like 13-36% so i doubt thats the problem but my RAM is running at like 96% usage so maybe thats it? Im not sure...heres my DXDIAG

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/13/2014, 01:54:51
Machine name: FINALREQUIEM
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: N68S3+
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 645 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
Page File: 5670MB used, 2518MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode


---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6811)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6811&SUBSYS_E271174B&REV_00
Display Memory: 3825 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2034 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: HDMI
Monitor Id: HEC0029
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about huge fps drops man raids wow
  1. Windows will use available memory for caching so the fact that it is being utilized is not a bad thing.
    Check the "Available memory" in task manager or performance monitor. If this is less than 1GB while running your game, extra memory may help.

    The issue could be server lag or your internet connection (not just locally, but from the exchange to the ISP and then the ISP to the server).
    Your processor is not as good as modern processors:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
    It sounds like you have already checked processor utilization, but make sure you check per core rather than total. If any core is hitting 100%, you are CPU bound on the thread running on this core.
  2. What is your individual core usage?

    I would say your CPU is the bottleneck.
  3. Yeah i only have 256 remaining for my RAM....
  4. RobCrezz said:
    What is your individual core usage?

    I would say your CPU is the bottleneck.


    None of my cores are maxing out....
  5. Just noticed it says you have 8gb of Ram, but only 4gb usable?
  6. Best answer
    VincentP said:
    Windows will use available memory for caching so the fact that it is being utilized is not a bad thing.
    Check the "Available memory" in task manager or performance monitor. If this is less than 1GB while running your game, extra memory may help.

    The issue could be server lag or your internet connection (not just locally, but from the exchange to the ISP and then the ISP to the server).
    Your processor is not as good as modern processors:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
    It sounds like you have already checked processor utilization, but make sure you check per core rather than total. If any core is hitting 100%, you are CPU bound on the thread running on this core.



    So this is my RAM usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/835/jcq9.png

    and here is my CPU usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/834/leh0.png
  7. RobCrezz said:
    Just noticed it says you have 8gb of Ram, but only 4gb usable?


    Just posted a more detailed look. Lemme know what you think
  8. Bump
  9. usable does not mean actual amount, memory is reserved for other things, i.e. graphics ect..

    WOW is a poorly coded game, so don;t expect huge FPS with all cards, is it only this game that's the issue?
  10. Donnypatts said:
    VincentP said:
    Windows will use available memory for caching so the fact that it is being utilized is not a bad thing.
    Check the "Available memory" in task manager or performance monitor. If this is less than 1GB while running your game, extra memory may help.

    The issue could be server lag or your internet connection (not just locally, but from the exchange to the ISP and then the ISP to the server).
    Your processor is not as good as modern processors:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
    It sounds like you have already checked processor utilization, but make sure you check per core rather than total. If any core is hitting 100%, you are CPU bound on the thread running on this core.



    So this is my RAM usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/835/jcq9.png

    and here is my CPU usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/834/leh0.png


    Donnypatts said:
    RobCrezz said:
    Just noticed it says you have 8gb of Ram, but only 4gb usable?


    Just posted a more detailed look. Lemme know what you think


    unknownofprob said:
    usable does not mean actual amount, memory is reserved for other things, i.e. graphics ect..

    WOW is a poorly coded game, so don;t expect huge FPS with all cards, is it only this game that's the issue?



    Yeah your RAM setup is not right, its only allowing 4gb to be used, and you are using it all up which is causing you to have to use the HDD a lot more.

    Are you sure you are running x64 windows?
  11. it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.
  12. unknownofprob said:
    it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.


    Yeah exactly, that is not how it should be. 8gb should be available.
  13. Donnypatts said:
    VincentP said:
    Windows will use available memory for caching so the fact that it is being utilized is not a bad thing.
    Check the "Available memory" in task manager or performance monitor. If this is less than 1GB while running your game, extra memory may help.

    The issue could be server lag or your internet connection (not just locally, but from the exchange to the ISP and then the ISP to the server).
    Your processor is not as good as modern processors:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
    It sounds like you have already checked processor utilization, but make sure you check per core rather than total. If any core is hitting 100%, you are CPU bound on the thread running on this core.



    So this is my RAM usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/835/jcq9.png

    and here is my CPU usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/834/leh0.png


    Sorry for the slow reply. I was having dinner.
    The issue isn't that you don't have enough memory, it is in the amount "Hardware Reserved"
    I've just checked two machines I have here:
    - One has 4GB of physical memory and 612MB hardware reserved.
    - The second has 12GB of physical memory and only 9MB is hardware reserved

    Windows identifies this memory as "Memory that is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals".
    The second system has a graphics card where the first uses the integrated graphics of a Core i3 processor.
    What I'm thinking is that on my 4GB system, memory is reserved for use by the integrated graphics.

    Does your motherboard have integrated graphics that your are not using?
    Have you tried disabling the integrated graphics in the bios?
  14. RobCrezz said:
    unknownofprob said:
    it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.


    Yeah exactly, that is not how it should be. 8gb should be available.


    depending on what the OP is doing, 8GB is actually usable, and may not be needed.

    If needing to, enable all 8GB in BIOS.
  15. unknownofprob said:
    usable does not mean actual amount, memory is reserved for other things, i.e. graphics ect..

    WOW is a poorly coded game, so don;t expect huge FPS with all cards, is it only this game that's the issue?


    No I have the same exact Issue with battlefield 4.
  16. unknownofprob said:
    RobCrezz said:
    unknownofprob said:
    it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.


    Yeah exactly, that is not how it should be. 8gb should be available.


    depending on what the OP is doing, 8GB is actually usable, and may not be needed.

    If needing to, enable all 8GB in BIOS.


    Pretty sure one of my sticks of ram isnt working....I think it may have been broken. I have it all enabled in the BIOS and everything...
  17. VincentP said:
    Donnypatts said:
    VincentP said:
    Windows will use available memory for caching so the fact that it is being utilized is not a bad thing.
    Check the "Available memory" in task manager or performance monitor. If this is less than 1GB while running your game, extra memory may help.

    The issue could be server lag or your internet connection (not just locally, but from the exchange to the ISP and then the ISP to the server).
    Your processor is not as good as modern processors:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html
    It sounds like you have already checked processor utilization, but make sure you check per core rather than total. If any core is hitting 100%, you are CPU bound on the thread running on this core.



    So this is my RAM usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/835/jcq9.png

    and here is my CPU usage https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1633x919q90/834/leh0.png


    Sorry for the slow reply. I was having dinner.
    The issue isn't that you don't have enough memory, it is in the amount "Hardware Reserved"
    I've just checked two machines I have here:
    - One has 4GB of physical memory and 612MB hardware reserved.
    - The second has 12GB of physical memory and only 9MB is hardware reserved

    Windows identifies this memory as "Memory that is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals".
    The second system has a graphics card where the first uses the integrated graphics of a Core i3 processor.
    What I'm thinking is that on my 4GB system, memory is reserved for use by the integrated graphics.

    Does your motherboard have integrated graphics that your are not using?
    Have you tried disabling the integrated graphics in the bios?


    Not sure how to disable integrated graphics...I have tried though
  18. Donnypatts said:
    unknownofprob said:
    RobCrezz said:
    unknownofprob said:
    it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.


    Yeah exactly, that is not how it should be. 8gb should be available.


    depending on what the OP is doing, 8GB is actually usable, and may not be needed.

    If needing to, enable all 8GB in BIOS.


    Pretty sure one of my sticks of ram isnt working....I think it may have been broken. I have it all enabled in the BIOS and everything...



    If your RAM was faulty it wouldn't appear in Windows at all.
    As mentioned in my post above, have you checked that the motherboard integrated graphics is disabled in the BIOS?
  19. unknownofprob said:
    RobCrezz said:
    unknownofprob said:
    it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.


    Yeah exactly, that is not how it should be. 8gb should be available.


    depending on what the OP is doing, 8GB is actually usable, and may not be needed.

    If needing to, enable all 8GB in BIOS.


    Look at the screenshot. I can tell you now, that is not normal, something is making the other 4gb not available, all 8 should be available there.
  20. under graphics options, you should have several adapters, there are sometimes ----- + ------, or just a bunch or random code names, most of the time it'll have some sort of clue given with a hinted model number.
  21. VincentP said:
    Donnypatts said:
    unknownofprob said:
    RobCrezz said:
    unknownofprob said:
    it does have a total of 8GB, only 4GB is usable due to his systems reserved memory.


    Yeah exactly, that is not how it should be. 8gb should be available.


    depending on what the OP is doing, 8GB is actually usable, and may not be needed.

    If needing to, enable all 8GB in BIOS.


    Pretty sure one of my sticks of ram isnt working....I think it may have been broken. I have it all enabled in the BIOS and everything...



    If your RAM was faulty it wouldn't appear in Windows at all.
    As mentioned in my post above, have you checked that the motherboard integrated graphics is disabled in the BIOS?


    Like i said. I've looked for the option to and cannot find it.
  22. What is your motherboard model? It should be written on the motherboard somewhere.
  23. VincentP said:
    What is your motherboard model? It should be written on the motherboard somewhere.


    It's in my very first post. N68S3+
  24. if one ram stick is faulty, that'll explain it.
  25. Donnypatts said:
    VincentP said:
    What is your motherboard model? It should be written on the motherboard somewhere.


    It's in my very first post. N68S3+


    I didn't recognise that as a motherboard model. I've never heard of Biostar.
    Some of these settings are default values, but check that they are set as described below.

    On the BIOS tab "PCIPnP", set "Plug & Play O/S" to Yes.
    On the BIOS Chipset tab, select "SouthBridge MCP68 Configuration".
    Set "Primary Graphics Adapter" to "PCI Express -> PCI -> IGP"
    Set OnChip and PCIe VGA Selection to "Disable OnChip VGA"

    Save changes and check Hardware Reserved memory.
    You should also check that all your BIOS and drivers are up to date. The website will have newer drivers than the CD that came with your motherboard:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=506#dl
  26. unknownofprob said:
    if one ram stick is faulty, that'll explain it.


    I think one stick is faulty.
  27. VincentP said:
    Donnypatts said:
    VincentP said:
    What is your motherboard model? It should be written on the motherboard somewhere.


    It's in my very first post. N68S3+


    I didn't recognise that as a motherboard model. I've never heard of Biostar.
    Some of these settings are default values, but check that they are set as described below.

    On the BIOS tab "PCIPnP", set "Plug & Play O/S" to Yes.
    On the BIOS Chipset tab, select "SouthBridge MCP68 Configuration".
    Set "Primary Graphics Adapter" to "PCI Express -> PCI -> IGP"
    Set OnChip and PCIe VGA Selection to "Disable OnChip VGA"

    Save changes and check Hardware Reserved memory.
    You should also check that all your BIOS and drivers are up to date. The website will have newer drivers than the CD that came with your motherboard:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=506#dl


    did all of the above, Still only 4g usable. I Think the ram is faulty =/
  28. i dont think so that the memory is faulty, you can see the 8gb total so must be fine, i could say that the problem is your mobo.
  29. Hlias Anton said:
    i dont think so that the memory is faulty, you can see the 8gb total so must be fine, i could say that the problem is your mobo.


    Pretty sure thats not the case...The motherboard allows for 16gb or memory so...2 2g sticks 2 4g sticks or 2 8g sticks.
  30. BUMPPPP
  31. WoW 25 man raids always has been CPU limited more than anything. If you are having low FPS, that is usually where to look, but check to see what your GPU usage is. If is at 99%, then it is your GPU. You may also need to tweak your WoW settings. In the past, shadows at max causes huge slow downs, especially with more players in one spot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM World Of Warcraft FPS Graphics