Q4 2014 AMD Gaming Rig

Greavesy

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Hey guys, first off this is my first build in about 10 years so just via research on here and in various other forums i have decided to go forward with this build. I am hoping to have this done mid to end year and the systems primary reason for existence is to play Tom Clany's The Division on Ultra settings at 1080p (im aware that no info is out about system req's but im hoping this would be enough). Also im hoping this system is somewhat gaming future-proof and, once i learn how to do it safely and properly im going to look at OCing and adding a water cooling loop.

The Build (In AUD):
CPU: $240 AMD FX-8350
MB: $300 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
GPU: $700 Gigabyte Radeon R9 290x 4GB - WINDFORCE
RAM: $190 G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
HDD'S: $177 Total Corsair Force LS Series 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: $160 Silverstone Strider Plus 850W 80+ Silver Fully-Modular
CASE: $170 Corsair c70
TOTAL: +/- $2000

Now the question's are:
- Have i got it right?
- Is there any reason i should wait to build this eg better parts (apart from learning the system req's)
- Any suggestions or improvements lastly,
- Anything on there that is not needed or is overkill for what im intending.

Thank you in advance,

Greavesy

Solution

All very good points. Between now and then there may be some very good options released. I would also suggest you wait until you get close to your purchase date before deciding.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to purchase today, the system you specc'd in your OP is very nice. But the motherboard and RAM are a little overkill. ASUS Sabertooth will save you some money and still have great OC and CPU support for the FX 8350. And 8GB of low latency DDR3 1600 or 1866 will be plenty for gaming. Going to 16GB yields almost no...

Greavesy

Reputable
May 13, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I know that it's far off from release but surely that pc would be capable of handling it. Also this has been in the works for about 3-6 months and the total cost has only dropped $50. If there is new hardware due out between now and then will it still fit the budget of around 2000 or will it blow out just to have the new wank factor?

Dylzan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Well I can't see AMD releasing any decent CPUs in that time, considering most of their focus is on APUs nowadays, but by then the new Devil's Canyon chips from Intel will be out (4690K/4790K) so they'd be some pretty decent options instead, unless you are dead set on AMD.

All very good points. Between now and then there may be some very good options released. I would also suggest you wait until you get close to your purchase date before deciding.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to purchase today, the system you specc'd in your OP is very nice. But the motherboard and RAM are a little overkill. ASUS Sabertooth will save you some money and still have great OC and CPU support for the FX 8350. And 8GB of low latency DDR3 1600 or 1866 will be plenty for gaming. Going to 16GB yields almost no benefit. I would put the money you save into a good liquid cooler that fits your case.

Solution