FX-8350 getting too hot!!!

Alex Karnis

Reputable
May 13, 2014
My 8350 gets too hot! I play a lot of league of legends and the temperature(i use AI Suite 2 from ASUS) gets to 54*C and the fan goes over 6300 RPM. I've added 2 case fans but it only goes down by 5-7 degrees.
Do I need a new CPU fan or do I need to re-apply the thermal paste?
ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
FX 8350 Stock fan
600w PSU-Corsair CX600
GTX 550 TI
8GB Gskill Ripjaws X
Case: AZZA ORION EVO 202 mid tower

Hello man

Honorable

54C is nothing. If you were hitting something like 90C, I would be worried. The FX line can handle temps up to 100C before throttling to preserve itself. If it is the noise, a water cooler would be the quietest for smaller cases. An H60 would do fine, presuming you do not want to over clock.

EDIT: If you want it to look super cool and stay cool, I would go with a bigger water cooler. I use a GIANT 360MM radiator, and idle below ambient temperature with my 8350 set to always run at 4.2 GHZ.

That goes for Intel CPUs, not AMD FX. AMD CPUs should always stay under 62C and they throttle at 70C.

Hello man

Honorable

I have found that 100C is where I see throttling on my FX8350, and on other overclocking forums what I have heard is 100C for the new Vishera FX line. But yes, the FX8350 stock cooler is 100% inadequate.

gumbykid

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

Doesn't throttling depend on your motherboard though? The max safe temp is 62C. Just because a motherboard can handle more doesn't mean the CPU should be above 62.

Anyways, what is your load at? If you're at like 20% while playing LoL then it may be an issue when doing more intensive tasks, otherwise it's completely normal.

Hello man

Honorable

Sorry, my bad. 100C before you explode completely, would NOT run it up past 71C, prettymuch ever. Back with my H50 i used to hit 69C. I ran fine. CPU Z said that the multiplier was stable and the V ID was showing no dips.

Thanks for being subtle :lol:

I always thought that 62C was the max safe temp and that the thermal margin was zero at 70C.

It's hard to say since the tcl scale isn't a real temperature, just a calculation. Any third party software that tries to interpret it as a measureable temperature is lying to you to make you feel better.

Hello man

Honorable

That is a bold statement there friend. Thermal margin is how many degrees C until the CPU starts throttling, which happens to be set at 70C, although I have heard of it starting sooner or later than 70C. Meaning, when your CPU hits 70C, the thermal margin will say 0, and you may start throttling.

Funny, the Overdrive I have installed in my PC actually shows me the core temp, not the thermal margin. I didn't think that Overdrive would be lying. Oh well...

My statement is based on fact. Your 70'C is not based on fact, because it is make believe.

Read the tutorial, and pay close attention to the tcl scale. If you can understand that, then you agree. If you fail to understand, then I'm sorry you cannot be helped.

Old version based on older architechtures. Update to new version.

Yeah I should... It was the newest version in last December though (when I got my 8350), hard to see how that's based on older architectures.

As far as Asus AI Suite (what OP is using) goes though, it's not displaying the actual core temp, but in fact, the socket temp (tested with HWMonitor).

Yes mobo software generally reads socket temp. While somewhat accurate at idle, I would not rely on socket temp for heavy loads like stress testing. For that, monitor thermal margin.

Test it yourself. I've made many tests and everytime thermal margin approaches zero, CPU throttles to correct itself, proving tcl works exactly as discussed in the AMD technical documents.

It took the AOD devs how many years to remove the BEMP tab that has been irrelevent for ages? Looks like they move pretty slow at this.

True that. Well, at least it's nice to be corrected by someone who doesn't lose their s**t when somebody has a different opinion every once in a while :D

No one seems to know this information, even though these data sheets have always been buried in the AMD archives. I don't blame people for finding this info as shocking. But if they actually read my tutorial, and glance at the reference sheets I provided, it should turn on the lightbulb in their heads.

You know how it goes. One "expert" says something, and the next guy quotes him, spreads this info over to other forums, and eventually everyone is parroting the same bad information.

I was aware of the TCL scale for years, and it didn't make sense to me how inaccurate all these temp monitor programs were, so I reasearched a bit, found the data sheets, and did my own testing. When the latest AOD came out this year and introduced the concept "Thermal Margin" it all came together and the TCL scale made more sense to me.

Now I am trying to spread the word :)

Alex Karnis

Reputable
May 13, 2014

My load gets to 22% when playing league, no big deal there. When I play Battlefield 4, my stock fan sounds like a jet engine and I get warnings from AI Suite that my socket's temp is reaching 65*C(70% load). I'm not overclocked at all. I want less noise and my temps down. My case can't fit any dual radiators. would an H80i be a good choice or any other aftermarket water cooler? Should I get a new case like a Corsair Obsidian 750 D? I'm open to all ideas