700 dollar PC build

firefly2

Reputable
May 14, 2014
hello,

I've been doing some research into parts for my very first pc build, but i cannot seem to make sense of all the information out there. (what do these graphic card names even mean?)

I'm looking for a pc that can handle HD video's and some high end games, that will last me a couple of years.

Budget: im looking to spend anywhere between 650 and 800 dollars (I'm in the netherlands but i assume you guys mostly work with dollars). If that includes windows, that's great, but i can deal with getting that seperately.

i have a decent monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive and sound system. i also own a 1TB 7200 RPM Hitachi harddrive (not sure if that's usable or if it's all SSD these days).

Are there any parts/builds (or websites/guides) you can recommend? anything will help :)

aprox buying time: This week

i'll overclock or use crossfire if it's recommended. (read that in the "how to format a pc build topic" topic)

sincerely,
daniel

Lan2u

Reputable
May 10, 2014
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£160.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£118.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£64.99 @ Novatech)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (£255.98 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.95 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £749.25
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-14 12:20 BST+0100)

Case Excluded as that is personal choice. Didn't include storage because you said you already had one

Crossfire isn't usually recommended building a new PC, it has too many drawbacks in most circumstances.
Overclocking is a matter of opinion, but I don't think it's worthwhile, and in fact it usually ends up being more expensive.

Generally you'll be looking at one of these graphics cards for the best mix of performance/price, depending on what you can afford.
-R7 260X
-GTX 750 TI
-GTX 660
-R9 270
-HD 7850
-HD 7790

And one of these CPUs, depending on what you can afford.
-Intel i3-4130
-Intel i3-4360
-AMD FX-6300
-AMD Athlon X4 760K
-Intel i5-4440

More specific parts can be chosen if we know where you're planning to buy the parts from. Prices can change a lot from country to country, so I picked relatively safe values.

And yes, an HDD is still very usable. There are a lot of people who don't use SSDs.

firefly2

Reputable
May 14, 2014
thanks for the quick replies.
the pc-partpicker link doesn't seem to calculate any price for the graphic's card though.

I live in the Netherlands, and i would be willing to order from any site that doesn't charge an absurd amount of shipping costs. The stores lan2u used seem to be shipping here, so i could possibly order from those.

I will keep using this HD then, as i feel like upgrading to a SSD is something i could consider in the future.