fx 6300 vs AMD Athlon II X4 750K for the price?

yellowpois0n

Reputable
May 11, 2014
Ive bin doing my research on the fx 6300 and people are saying its a great cpu, and also is a great overclocker. However, im on a tight budget 550$, could stretch to 600$. Im wondering if i should go with the AMD Athlon II X4 750K for the price (keep in mind i need a tower and os) or fx 6300. Im going to get the r9 270x, so another thing im worried is about bottlenecking.

Some games ill be playing:
1st and most important: World of warcraft (cpu dependent)
battlefield 3/4
cod bo2, ghosts, mw3
minecraft
elder scrolls online
titanfall

Thanks in advance :)

The FX-6300 is a good choice because of its 6 cores. It will help you out in your games compared to what you are comparing it to.

Overclocking is something that the fx-6300 does particularly well (make sure you motherboard, PSU, and cooling support that later on).

I can't recommend any FX CPUs other than the FX-8320, especially after the recent revelations revealed about the L3 cache being pratically as slow as DDR3. The high latency L3 cache is the reason the Athlon 760K is performing just as well as the other FX CPUs in programs that utilize four cores or less.

So unless you need the extra cores, just get the 760K and clock it. If you need the extra cores, then get FX-8320 and clock it.

Also AM3+ is a dead socket while FM2+ is alive and well.